Mission Design and Astrodynamics Analyst
- Colorado Springs, CO
Requisition ID: 50184
All Locations: Colorado Springs, CO (Colorado)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The United States Space Force is transforming its space enterprise with warfighting-focused initiatives to maintain U.S. space superiority in the 21st century. As a mission design and astrodynamics analyst, you'll be a key member of teams that are developing innovative new missions and capabilities to ensure the U.S. can defend, fight, and win in the space domain. The qualified candidate will provide mission design and astrodynamics analytical support to government customers as they transform current missions and invent new capabilities. Emphasis will be in the areas of space domain awareness (SSA), offensive space control (OSC), defensive space control (DSC), and enhancing the resilience of other mission areas in the Space Force enterprise architecture. Customers include the U.S. Space Force, the Space Security and Defense Program (SSDP), Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), and others.
- Conduct a range of modeling, simulation, and analysis in areas such as space mission design, orbital maneuvers, orbit estimation, space debris, and space situational awareness
- Provide technical support to Space Force enterprise activities, and the Space Security and Defense Program
- Interact directly with Aerospace program office personnel and government customers in the Colorado Springs area and collaborate closely with Aerospace personnel in other locations
- Provide technical expertise in the modeling and analysis of SSA, OSC and DSC systems and their broader system-of-systems architectures with a focus on space protection and defense
- Support independent assessments and studies with integrated analyst teams that include government/FFRDC/SETA/contractor members
- Conduct trade studies and comparative performance assessments of system and architecture alternatives to inform customer investment decisions/recommendations
- Support the development and maturation of analysis software tools
- Occasional travel is required
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution.
- Advanced degree in engineering or science from a recognized institution.
- Strong technical background in orbit mechanics/astrodynamics.
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis.
- Expertise in one or more of the following technical disciplines required: space mission analysis and design, orbital propagation and perturbations, orbit estimation, orbital maneuvers, launch vehicle and satellite operations, collision risk and debris analyses, missile defense analyses, and modeling and simulation.
- Proven ability to interact effectively with colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral (briefing) communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in teams.
- Able to obtain and maintain DoD collateral and SCI security clearances, which are issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience with rendezvous and proximity operations or formation flight.
- Experience with spacecraft guidance, navigation, and control.
- Experience with optimization techniques and their application to trajectory optimization and/or multi-objective optimization.
- Experience with modeling the performance of electro-optical or radio frequency sensors for SSA or remote sensing.
- Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages/tools: C++, Python, Matlab, SIMULINK, Fortran, C, Java.
- Proficiency with the Air Force Space Command Astrodynamics Standards analysis software library.
- Prior space-related work experience for a U.S. government agency or contractor.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : MEMBER-TECH STF
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: [[relo]]
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Colorado Springs
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, IT Architecture, Quality Assurance, Aerospace, Engineering, Government, Technology, Aviation
Back to top