Mechanical Systems Engineering Physicist
- El Segundo, CA
Requisition ID: 50831
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Corporation is looking for an experienced engineering physicist (engineering or physics background) with knowledge of ordnance devices and their integration into higher levels of assemblies, high energetic materials, and/or the physics behind the usage of ordnance systems to join the Mechanical Systems Department (MSD). MSD analyzes moving mechanical assemblies (MMAs)that are actuated by a motor, rotor, spring, or ordnance device. Responsibilities would focus on creating models, utilizing multi-body, rigid or multi-physics analysis tools to simulate and capture actuation and functioning of mechanisms. Experience using these specific modeling tools is not required, however, familiarization of the physics behind an ordnance train and devices is preferred.
- Determines analytical techniques, interpret results and arrange for performances of analyses and associated contractor's technology needs
- Integrate and lead and/or coordinate teams of technical contributors
- Identify issues, prioritize tasks, facilitate communication, and act as a spokesperson for the working group for management/customer
- Mentor and advise other team members to provide technical guidance and development insight
- Performs design, analyses, modeling and independent review of space, launch and reentry vehicles and other mechanical subsystems
- Support hardware integration and test activities associated with space and launch mechanisms
- Review and evaluate mechanisms test plans, test data, analyses, and results
- Provide technical support in technical exchange meetings, design reviews, and hardware acceptance reviews
- Develop solutions to technical problems in mechanical engineering, chemical physics and other ordnance and high energetic material related fields
- Use existing tools or develop new tools to asses mechanical or explosive component designs
- Prepare reports and deliver oral presentations as needed
- Some travel required
- Bachelor's degree in Physics, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or a related engineering or science field
- Eight years or more of experience in the related field
- Experience in solving complex scientific or mechanical engineering problems
- Experience with high energetic materials and/or ordnance devices
- Must be able to work on multiple tasks effectively, independently and in a team environment
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Ph.D. plus four years of experience or M.S. degree with six years of experience
- Experience in design, analysis, and testing of space MMAs, explosive driven components and other explosive applications
- Experience in requirement definition and verification of launch/space vehicle MMAs and ordnance actuated devices
- Experience with hydrocode analysis tools such as CTH, LS-DYNA, ADAMS, Cheetah
- Experience in developing and maintaining online procedures and command media
- Experience in integration and testing
- Experience in material science and chemistry pertaining to department mission and scope
- Initiative, Creativity, Decision-making ability
- Current Secret clearance with the ability a TS/SCI Security Clearance
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Mechanical Engineer, Systems Engineer, Engineer, Physicist, Physics, Engineering, Science
Back to top