Launch Vehicle Flight Software Program Lead
Requisition ID: 47274
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Launch Operations Division (LOD) provides technical support to the Space and Missile Systems Center's (SMC) Launch Enterprise Directorate (ECL) providing independent launch readiness verification in support of National Security Space (NSS) missions to be launched on the Atlas V and Delta IV launch systems. In addition, the Division provides technical support to the design certification of the Vulcan and New Glenn launch systems that are currently in development.
The Sr Project Engineer in the Systems Analysis group within LOD will provide technical, systems engineering and programmatic leadership with a primary focus on Vulcan Flight Software design certification. The selected candidate will also provide support in other technical discipline areas including: Day of Launch WInds design certification and Flight Operations analyses for the operational launch systems and the two launch development programs. The selected candidate will also work with the Aerospace Engineering and Technology Group (ETG), the goverment customer and the contractor. He/she will be responsible for identifying technical and certification-related issues/risks and for executing and closing tasks.
- Technical and programmatic leadership for Flight Software
- Capability to cross-train and assist in the areas of Day of Launch Winds and Flight Operations
- Task planning and budget management
- Acting as primary interface between Systems Analysis, SMC/ECL, launch vehicle contractors, and the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) Office of Space Launch
- Mangement of all launch vehicle certification efforts for Vulcan Flight Software as well as Flight Operations for the Atlas, Delta, Vulcan and New Glenn programs
- Coordination of analysis activities with ETG and the launch vehicle contractor
- Mentoring of new Air Force Officers to help them gain familiarity with technical processes and tasks associated with Flight Software as well as Flight Operations
- Providing written reports and presentations to customers and Aerospace management
- Bachelor of Science Degree in engineering or a related technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Twelve (12) or more years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated mentoring and project/resource planning experience
- Knowledge of or experience with launch vehicle subsystems
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills
- Ability to work effectively across organizations
- Can interface effectively with senior Aerospace management, Air Force, and contractor counterparts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrating ability to present clear, concise briefings
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and force well-founded technical recommendations
- Ability to balance technical and programmatic perspectives
- Ability to work in a high intensity environment with rapidly changing priorities and highly demanding customer
- Ability to travel on occassion to support reviews
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. Govenment. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Advanced degree in engineering or a technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Experience in flight software
- Familiarity with National Security Space launch systems and operations
- Experience with the National Security Space Launch Verification Matrix
- Experience with other Systems Analysis areas (e.g., loads/controls/trajectory analysis, flight operations)
- Ability to obtain and maintain Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Developer, Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace, Laboratory, Technology, Engineering, Government, Aviation, Science
Back to top