Ionosphere Scientist/ Sensor Developer
- El Segundo, CA
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
Join our team as we help shape the future of space exploration and applications. We are seeking a creative and motivated researcher with ionosphere and related expertise. This role involves conducting fundamental and applied space science research to solve hard problems related to effects of the space environment on space system design and operation. The position focuses on magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling research, radiofrequency propagation through the ionosphere, and the development of innovative magnetometers and GNSS-based sensors. The role also includes reporting on scientific and application results through direct interactions with customers and corporate leadership, participation in scientific conferences, and through peer-reviewed publications.
- Apply scientific methodology to solve hard problems in space science and applications
- Applied research assignments: engage with space system operations communities to document and understand the role of space weather in operations; participate in anomaly investigations; use established system assessment methods to advise on material solutions for space weather information
- Fundamental research assignments: conduct scientific research on magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling through data analysis and modeling to further our understanding of the environmental role on space system operations; disseminate results through customer briefings and reports, conferences and workshops, and peer-reviewed publications; participate in the analysis and interpretation of space-science data sets; lead and participate in proposals to customer organizations for research funding; collaborate within the Corporation and with external organizations to develop and field innovative techniques for measuring, monitoring, and forecasting space weather impacts on space systems
- Customer interaction assignments: support National Space Security program offices through the application of the results of space science research and the resulting knowledge base; support and grow interactions with a diverse set of customers; routinely engage with Corporate and external sponsors by documenting, publishing, and participation in real-time interactions
- Ph.D. in space science or closely related field with experience in conducting ionospheric research
- Experience in conducting space science research with focus on magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling research using experimental techniques and data exploitation
- Established record of peer-reviewed publications and presentations at technical conferences and workshops
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an active Secret security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience with designing, building, testing, and fielding space science instrumentation, primarily magnetometers and sensors based on GNSS signals
- Five or more years of increasingly responsible and related scientific research experience
- Experience with exploitation of various datasets of space physics measurements (e.g., ground- and space-based magnetometer and GNSS) that include data management and analysis for fundamental research and application
- Experience with radiofrequency ionospheric propagation
- Experience in building multi-organization collaborations and working with contractors and/or program offices
- Current SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top