Heat Transfer Engineer
- El Segundo, CA
Requisition ID: 51103
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Thermal Physics Section within the Fluid Mechanics Department provides design and analysis support on the thermal environments of launch and reentry vehicles. The qualified candidate works with internal and external customers as a technical authority in the physics of heat and mass transfer.
- Perform analyses, modeling, planning and review functions associated with the thermal characterization and fluid dynamics pertaining to space, launch, and reentry vehicles
- Assignments require both steady-state and transient analysis of single and multi-phase heat/mass transfer in components/subsystems of launch and reentry vehicles
- Proactive participation in multi-disciplinary engineering teams is required for technical issue resolution
- Maintain technical currency and stay abreast of advances in the areas of heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Work closely with program management and interface with contractors, government personnel, research laboratories, and academia
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- 2 or more years of increasingly responsible and related engineering/scientific experience or academia
- Experience or coursework in heat transfer, mass transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics
- Experience performing and documenting detailed technical studies, and delivering technical presentations
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- An advanced degree (Ph.D.) is highly preferred in mechanical or aeronautical engineering
- Graduate level course work is preferred in the following areas: convective and radiative heat transfer, mass transfer, and fluid mechanics
- Experience with thermal protection systems and thermally ablating materials
- Experience in the use of computational thermal analysis and fluid dynamics techniques
- Experience in analyzing flight and/or experimental data
- WIllingness to occasionally travel and to work off-business hours to support customer needs
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: [[relo]]
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Engineer, Thermal Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Security Clearance, Engineering, Government
Back to top