Ground Software Engineer
Requisition ID: 34781
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Software Systems Engineering Department (SSED) is looking for a Ground Software Engineer to function as a key member of the corporation's east coast center of software systems expertise. This position is to provide dedicated technical software advisory expertise for a high priority national space system program office.
- Assessing the impacts of proposed software engineering changes, and supporting technical and cost evaluations
- Defining ground system software concepts and capabilities
- Recommending strategies to migrate ground software functions to common infrastructure, services and virtual environments
- Formulating software acquisition strategies and participating in pre-acquisition activities
- Supporting contract solicitation and negotiations
- Evaluating contractor software designs to ensure functional and performance requirements are satisfied and external impacts are understood
- Generate written reviews relating to Agile Mission Assurance for major programmatic engineering milestone events (e.g., SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR, and PSR)
- Auditing, reviewing, verification and validation of software products
- Identifying & assessing software risks and opportunities
- Participating in software trade studies and other technical analyses
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software System Engineering, Information Technology, Aerospace Engineering or an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Eight or more years of increasingly responsible and related engineering/scientific experience, preferably including experience in a software systems engineering.
- Experience with overseeing the development, integration, verification and validation, and transition to operations of large software-based systems
- Experience with agile-based software and test-like-you-fly (TLYF) approaches
- Knowledge and experience working with space ground software systems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of teams
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across an enterprise
- Ability to occasionally flex work schedule to accommodate deadlines
- Able to travel approximately 20% to CONUS Aerospace or Customer office locations as required
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software System Engineering, or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience with US Government acquisition and systems engineering processes, including supporting new development,test, reviews, and sustainment activities
- Ten or more years of experience developing or acquiring satellite ground software systems
- Knowledge of NRO systems engineering, acquisition, and integration processes, including the NRO Lifecycle Readiness Instruction, and the NRO Site Integration Standards
- Knowledge of Cloud computing and/or Amazon Web Services
- Experience coordinating and managing matrixed team personnel to solve technical problems
- Experience working in fast-paced environments and completing tasks on short deadlines
- Experience delivering impartial assessments despite incomplete or imperfect information
- Current TS/SSBI
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : ENGRG SPECIALIST
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Developer, Engineer, Software Engineer, Security Clearance, Computer Science, Technology, Engineering, Government
Meet Some of Aerospace's Employees
Daniel is directly involved in finding exceptionally talented individuals and bringing them on board the team in order to build and grow the company.
Back to top