Geopositioning Systems Section Manager
Requisition ID: 43113
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a Section Manager to join the Navigation and Geopositioning Systems Department (NGSD) and lead our Geopositioning Systems Section. NGSD's strategic vision is to be the center of excellence in the development and advancement of position, navigation, and timing technologies for the national security space and civil/commercial space communities. Our mission is to develop, apply, and deliver high-fidelity modeling, simulation, and analysis capabilities and technical counsel across the enterprise of launch, space, ground, and user systems.
- Manage five to seven engineers and interns responsible for the engineering-level simulation of navigation, geopositioning, and remote-sensing systems, and related technologies in support of NSG, SSG, and CCO program offices, and internal corporate requirements.
- Work with department management and other managers as needed in all aspects of developing and managing an engineering-level organization of navigation, geopositioning, and remote-sensing system analysts in a diverse environment.
- Provide technical and management leadership in the design, development, and validation of high-fidelity/high-accuracy space and airborne systems.
- Work with a variety of technologies, from geolocation, remote sensing, and cyber security, to autonomous systems employing space borne GPS receivers.
- Direct and coordinate analyses for a variety of mission applications (i.e., space security, space resiliency, satellite navigation, airborne systems, CubeSats, mission data processing, and navigation and geopositioning algorithm development.)
- Provide management support to the department and section members in the areas of:
- Business functions (e.g., budget, resource allocation)
- Obtaining and managing work assignments
- Leading tasks and initiatives
- Ensuring the technical quality of section products
- Developing staff through formal and informal performance management, evaluation, mentoring, and tasking
- Participate in recruiting and hiring processes
- Extensive interaction via technical working groups, briefings, and personal contact with other engineers, managers, program office, contractor, civil, commercial, and government personnel is required.
- Bachelor of Science in mathematics, engineering, physics, computer science, or equivalent.
- Minimum of eight years of experience, including three years of direct applicable technical experience, ideally in space-related systems.
- Familiarity with the principles of geolocation/error analyses, mission data processing, signal processing, GNSS systems, and algorithm development.
- Knowledge and understanding of corporate Policies and Practices and organizational structure.
- Strong abilities in hiring, mentoring, training, and development of technical staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete tasks, learn new technical approaches, lead technical efforts, and interact effectively with a broad range of organizations.
- An active TS/SSBI security clearance.
- Advanced. degree in mathematics, engineering, physics, computer science, or equivalent.
- Experience working with program office personnel on SSG, NSG and/or CSG space systems.
- Proficiency with the advanced principles of geolocation/error analyses, mission data processing, signal/image processing, GNSS systems, and algorithm development.
- Experience in astrodynamics, orbit determination, estimation theory, and ambiguity resolution
- Experience as a line manager, project leader, and mentor.
- Ability to broaden the customer base of the Geopositioning Systems section.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, Aerospace, Secret Clearance, Laboratory, Engineering, Government, Aviation, Science
Back to top