Extravehicular Activity (EVA) Exploration Engineering Specialist
- Houston, TX
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
Provide system engineering capabilities to NASA/Johnson Space Center in support of their Extravehicular Activity (EVA) exploration planning. Support will include the development of EVA technical documentation, definition of requirements for future equipment, participation in trade studies, and the integration of EVA needs into the Design Reference Missions (DRM).
- Provide systems engineering and integration related to EVA interest in the area of NASA-wide exploration Design Reference Mission (DRM) development and/or refinement
- Assess DRM Requirements from an EVA perspective and recommend EVA project level requirements.
- Assess and recommend the flow-up of EVA Architecture Assumptions for Exploration DRM SE&I products, including identification and documentation of technical baseline impacts, trade studies, and response recommendations.
- Assess and recommend supporting technical data for EVA performance measures per DRM Master Equipment Lists, Power Equipment Lists, and Volumes.
- Perform EVA related trade studies, special requirement studies, technology readiness studies as requested to support unique mission concept developments.
- Provide systems engineering and integration related to EVA and space suit requirements planning, coordination, and documentation.
- Perform EVA system engineering for space suits and supporting EVA equipment, including EVA tools and vehicle Interface options.
- Perform Cradle database support as required especially in support of Exploration requirements document development.
- Develop and coordinate documentation change packages, including stakeholder review and technical interchange meetings for technical issue resolution.
- Participate in status/planning meetings, workshops, and control boards to discuss requirements, traceability/metrics, and overall systems engineering processes.
- Support analyses, trades, and decision package development for resolution of EVA architectural options and EVA requirements.
- Provide coordinated updates to the EVA Office.
- Develop relevant processes and operating procedures as needed for requirement management tasks.
- As directed, plan and coordinate the overall EVA Exploration planning schedule for major milestone participation and deliverable development.
- Periodic travel within the US is expected. Some activity may require travel outside the US as well.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or science
- Knowledge and understanding of the NASA program life cycle and system engineering processes
- Ability to effectively utilize oral and written communication to express technical concepts and recommendations to personnel at all technical and managerial levels
- Ability to work effectively and quickly in real-time environments of rapid-change, conflicting requirements, and occasional pressure
- Innovation, creativity, and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers
- Knowledge of EVA systems and current technology
- Advanced degree in engineering or science
- Eight years of experience with NASA spacecraft systems
- Proficiency with Cradle requirements management software
- Understanding of scheduling software packages
- Experience performing or leading technical and programmatic tasks for NASA
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top