Engineering Manager - Sensor Technology Evaluation and Prototyping Section
- El Segundo, CA
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Visible and Infrared Sensor Systems Department (VISSD) supports the design and development of electro-optical (EO) sensor payloads and prototypes for civil, commercial, and national space systems. Our activities include: concept definition and mission driven design synthesis of electro-optical space sensors, detailed characterization and performance analysis of visible and infrared (IR) electro-optical image sensors, design, assembly, integration and test of ground and airborne prototype sensors, high fidelity modeling of the performance of both individual electro-optical sensors and configurations of space and ground sensors. This posting is for a Section Manager to lead the Sensor Technology Evaluation and Prototyping Section within VISSD.
- Provide technical leadership and planning for activities involving a group of engineers supporting the development of visible and infrared sensor systems used for space surveillance, overhead persistent infrared systems, and Earth remote sensing applications.
- Direct and develop junior staff in the areas of independent focal plane array (FPA) characterization as well as prototype sensor hardware design and development.
- Work closely with the customer to coordinate tasking, report progress, resolve technical issues, and assure project success.
- Recommend staffing needs for the organization and lead the recruiting process.
- Implement existing policies, practices, and operating processes and recommend improvements.
- Maintain and pursue customer relationships for business development of work related to group core competencies (i.e., FPA technology and sensor prototyping).
- Provide mentoring, coaching, and performance evaluation of direct reports.
- Degree from an accredited university in physics, electrical engineering, or another related field.
- Strong hardware, laboratory, data analysis, analytical, and software skills with a demonstrated ability to lead engineering analysis tasks.
- Experience developing engineering analysis methods and tools using a primary computer programming language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, IDL or another appropriate language).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with customers and with contractor personnel.
- Must have a current and active Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) security clearance (US citizenship required).
- Minimum 8 years of experience with visible and infrared remote sensing systems and/or hardware design and development activities.
- Prior project leadership and/or management experience.
- Current working relationships within the space EO/IR sensor system community.
- Advanced degree from an accredited university in physics, electrical engineering, optics, or another related field.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top