Embedded Software Engineer, 2019 Undergraduate Intern
Requisition ID: 43229
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking an Embedded Software Engineer Undergraduate Intern for an internship opportunity. This position will be located in El Segundo, CA.
The qualified candidate will become part of the Embedded and Specialized Computing Department. The Embedded and Specialized Computing Department is seeking applicants interested in building leading edge software products and systems. Members of this group provide design and implementation support to a wide range of customers including internal Aerospace customers, national stakeholders, and global commercial customers.
- We are looking for a software engineer with a blended skillset: digital hardware familiarity, firmware, code on Linux and other platforms, e.g., Android, cloud. Familiarity with UI/UX technologies and web technologies.
- We rapidly move ideas from basic concept to brass board demonstration in relevant environments using a variety of technologies and are always looking for quality minds.
- We value curiosity and the internal drive to learn.
- Previous projects within this group have included CubeSat spacecraft development, autonomous vehicle sensor networks, ground and on-orbit modems leveraging FPGAs, GPU-accelerated signal processing, and sensor fusion among others.
- Participates with an interdisciplinary team in ongoing research or technical programs with academic collaboration partners.
- Applies standard techniques and procedures to carry out a series of prescribed scientific and/or engineering tasks.
- Training and mentorship will be provided.
Performance standards to be successful in this internship position include:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to adapt to changing organizational need
- Effective interpersonal skills to coordinate efforts and work with other internal and external organizations
- Demonstrates behavior that is consistent with the company's values of Dedication to Mission Success, Technical Excellence, Commitment to Our People, Integrity and Objectivity.
- Currently enrolled at an accredited college/university degree program pursuing a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related program
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance
- US Citizenship required
- GPA 3.5 or higher
- Active security clearance
- Proficient in C programming.
- Understanding of real-time, embedded, size and power constrained systems. Linux system bring-up a plus, e.g., U-Boot and Linux customization on Xilinx Zynq FPGA boards.
- FPGA development and HDL (Verilog, VHDL) experience.
- Working knowledge of firmware development (baremetal or RTOS) on Arm Cortex-M/R/A microcontrollers or SoCs.
- Working knowledge of typical hardware interfaces: I2C, SPI, GPIO, UART, etc. Working knowledge of typical subsystems (e.g., eMMC, raw NAND, etc.) and associated system level software integration.
- Working knowledge of typical networking stack and architectural principles: Ethernet, TCP/IP suite, HTTP, web services, e.g., REST.
- General, background familiarity with web technologies: databases, SQL, front-end frameworks, e.g., Angular/React/Ember/Backbone/Bootstrap.
- Familiarity with distributed (edge) computing.
Temporary housing assistance is not available.
The Aerospace Corporation functions as the nation's independent testing, assessment, and research center for national security space systems, specializing in advanced military space systems. Aerospace offers summer internship positions at our headquarters in El Segundo, California, and our campuses in Chantilly, Virginia, Colorado and New Mexico to give students the opportunity to work in the scientific, technical, or administrative areas of the company.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Employment Type: Intern
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Embedded, Informatics, Engineer, Security Clearance, Temporary, Technology, Engineering, Government, Contract
Back to top