Embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer
- El Segundo, CA
Requisition ID: 55745
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Cyber Defense Solutions Department is looking for a hands-on embedded / FPGA Cyber Engineer to join our growing team of cyber professionals who design, implement, and deploy cyber solutions to defend our nation's most valuable assets in space. We support a variety of customers including the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), and other civil customers (e.g. NASA) in order to resolve unique challenges in protecting their satellite systems from sophisticated adversaries.
In this research and prototype focused role, you will join the Spacecraft Security Section, which specializes in embedded/discrete logic security for space systems. Example projects might include integration of NSA crypto modules to cubesat platforms, security analysis and recommendations for government programs, and cyber/cryptographic research for next-generation concepts.
Due to the coronavirus, Aerospace is conducting our interviews via phone and videoconference. We are especially flexible with start dates & relocation.
• Design and build embedded or hardware prototypes to demonstrate new concepts for protecting spacecraft from advanced cyber attacks.
• Leverage expertise of embedded architecture and design to perform vulnerability assessments and recommend best practices for government programs of record.
• Implement or integrate existing hardened cyber security modules on satellite or cubesat platforms.
• Research and develop novel software or hardware exploitations which may affect space systems.
• Proactively interact with customers by presenting project status, technical findings and technical demonstrations.
• Keep informed of the latest exploits and offensive measures through research and cyber certifications.
This position is available as an Embedded/FPGA Cyber Engineer or Sr. Embedded/FPGA Cyber Engineer.
Required for Embedded/FPGA Cyber Engineer
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Cyber Security, or another related degree.
- 2 or more years of experience in software or hardware development related to secure coding, embedded systems security, side-channel attacks, defensive cyber operations, vulnerability analysis, cryptography, penetration testing, reverse engineering, or malware analysis.
- Proficient with embedded design, discrete logic design, or both.
- Embedded applicants are proficient with programming languages including C/C++/Python/Assembly and embedded system environments such as Xilinx Zynq/Microblaze, ARM, or Altera NIOS.
- Discrete logic applicants are proficient with FPGA design (HDLs- VHDL/Verilog/SystemVerilog), hardware, and tools from major vendors (e.g., Xilinx, Altera, Microsemi).
- Familiarity with laboratory tools such as debuggers, oscilloscopes, power supplies and multimeters.
- Eligibility to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a clearance.
Required for Sr. Embedded/FPGA Cyber Engineer
- Meets all criteria for Member of Technical Staff and has 5 or more years of related technical experience.
- Ability to lead small teams, propose new research lines, and interface with military program offices.
- Active security clearance.
- Experience conducting penetration test (e.g. reverse engineering, fuzz testing, side channel attacks, and permission escalation) or defensive operations (e.g. attack modeling, intrusion detection, and secure code review).
- Experience in cryptographic systems design (i.e., encryption, authentication, key management) or cryptographic algorithm development.
- Familiar with bash, shell, PowerShell, and basic scripting on Linux and Windows platforms.
- Familiar with trusted platform design and configuration (e.g. Arm TrustZone, SELinux, Intel SGX, OP-TEE, Secure Boot, Trusted Platform Module, BIOS/UEFI, etc.)
- Experience with Linux kernel and driver development; particularly customizations that enhance security for the system.
- Experience using and selecting software assurance tools & countermeasures (i.e. State-of-the-Art Resources)
- Working knowledge with satellite systems.
- Experience with RTOS based multi-threaded application and bare metal embedded firmware design and development.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Embedded, Informatics, Engineer, Electrical, Firmware, Technology, Engineering
Back to top