Electro-Optical Systems Performance Modeling Scientist
Requisition ID: 45114
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Integrated Sensor Design and Analysis Department supports electro-optical payload development by performing systems engineering analysis in a concurrent engineering environment. Systems are evaluated from an optical, thermal, and structural perspective. System engineering will also involve development and analysis of testing methods for sensor systems and large aperture optics.
- Develop modeling, simulation, and exploitation algorithms for visible and infrared imaging radiometers and spectral imaging sensors, including physical optics phenomena such as beam propagation and diffraction.
- Provide performance analysis, data processing, and design requirements for electro-optical sensor systems and payloads, including using optical design codes such as CodeV/Zemax.
- Support electro-optical payload development by performing system engineering analysis in a concurrent engineering environment.
- Lead technical teams in the execution of electro-optical systems analysis.
- Interact with senior staff and department management to solve challenging technical problems that arise on Electro-Optical sensor system programs.
- Document results from technical activities and interactions with customers and contractors with reports and/or oral presentations.
- Degree from an accredited university in optics, physics, electrical engineering or another related discipline.
- 8+ years of experience with modeling, simulation, and data analysis of visible and infrared optical sensors.
- Good theoretical understanding of optical system engineering.
- Demonstrated analytic and critical thinking skills for electro-optical sensor system performance quantification, including radiometry, stray light, optical design/ray tracing, testing, and data exploitation.
- Strong, hands-on computer programming and modeling skills in an engineering application environment such as Python, MATLAB, IDL/ENVI, or Mathematica.
- Demonstrated mentoring of junior staff in optical engineering and systems engineering.
- Demonstrated leadership of technical teams in execution of electro-optical systems analysis.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with Air Force and government customers, and with defense contractor personnel.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information TS/SCI SSBI security clearance.
- Advanced degree in optical sciences or another relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience modeling complex optical systems and physical optical phenomena (e.g. beam propagation, diffraction, coherence).
- Demonstrated analytic and critical thinking skills for pan chromatic, multi-, and hyperspectral visible and infrared electro-optical sensor system performance quantification, including radiometry, stray light, optical design/ray-tracing, testing, and data exploitation.
- Demonstrated experience with optical design code such as CodeV and/or Zemax, experience with stray light code such as FRED, and other related optical software packages such as LightTools.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Scientific, Engineer, Electrical, Scientist, Security Clearance, Engineering, Science, Government
Back to top