The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Electronics and Sensors Division (ESD) is a world-class engineering and scientific leader in electronics and remote sensing systems. The Visible and Infrared Sensor Systems Department (VISSD) resides within ESD, and our staff supports the design and development of electro-optical (EO) sensor payloads and prototypes. Our expertise includes the following: concept definition and mission driven design synthesis of electro-optical space sensors, detailed characterization and performance analysis of visible and infrared (IR) image sensors, as well as the design, assembly, integration and test (AI&T) of ground and airborne prototype sensors. This expertise combined with additional in-house (ESD) laboratories, prototyping, performance modeling, and simulation capabilities, enables VISSD to deliver innovative solutions to our civil, commercial, and national space systems customers.
What You'll Be Doing
- Provide technical leadership and planning for activities involving a group of engineers supporting the development of visible and infrared sensor systems used for space surveillance, overhead persistent infrared systems, and Earth remote sensing applications for SMC, NRO and Civil Space programs.
- Direct and develop junior staff in the areas of independent focal plane array (FPA) characterization as well as prototype sensor hardware design and AI&T.
- Work closely with the customer to coordinate tasking, report progress, resolve technical issues, and assure project success.
- Recommend staffing needs for the organization and lead the recruiting process.
- Implement existing policies, practices, and operating processes and recommend improvements.
- Maintain and pursue customer relationships for business development of work related to group core competencies (i.e., FPA technology and sensor prototyping).
- Provide mentoring, coaching, and performance evaluation of direct reports.
What You Need to be Successful
- Degree (Bachelors, Masters, Ph.D.) from an accredited program in physics, electrical engineering, optics, or another related field.
- Strong hardware, laboratory, data analysis, analytical, and software skills with a demonstrated ability to lead engineering analysis tasks.
- Experience developing engineering analysis methods and tools using a primary computer programming language (e.g., Python, MATLAB, IDL or another appropriate language).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work interactively and effectively with customers and with contractor personnel.
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced (Masters or Ph.D.) degree from an accredited program in physics, electrical engineering, optics, or another related field.
- Minimum 12 years of experience with visible and infrared remote sensing systems and/or hardware design and development activities.
- Prior project leadership and/or management experience.
- Current working relationships within the space EO/IR sensor system community.
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.