Director - Software Architecture and Engineering Department
Requisition ID: 48801
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia); El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a Director for the Software Architecture and Engineering Department. This role will provide leadership, planning, and direction of technical office staff and operations. Assigns resources, determines staffing needs, and coordinates activities and operations among subordinate units. Communicates and coordinates activities to counterpart organizations, management, and customers.
The Software Architecture and Engineering Dept. Director can be located in at our office in El Segundo, CA or Chantilly, VA
- Leads and manages the Software Architecture and Engineering Department (SAED), to include hiring, staffing projects, employee development, performance management, determination of salary actions, and management of capital and overhead budgets.
- Provide strategic and tactical direction to the department in the achievement of department, division, and corporate goals, enhancing technical staff skills, expanding capabilities of labs, and cultivating customer engagements
- Manage and guide the staff's careers to include succession planning and mentoring.
- Provide software development and engineering expertise for software and systems for DoD, Civil, Commercial, and IC software enterprises.
- Expand software engineering techniques to the enterprise level and work to improve skill-sets in software architecture
- Explore the need and possible growth data architecture and architecture modeling
- Work with Aerospace program offices to ensure deliveries align with expectations and that skill sets are appropriate for the task.
- Cultivate and expand existing service offerings for the department that can be used by the program offices; identify and create new service offerings as opportunities arise.
- Ensure that staff's work products are of expected quality.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other technical field of study
- Strong technical leadership skills, with and demonstrated experience managing geographically distributed teams
- 10 or more years of experience in software development and 4 or more years of experience in leadership capacity
- A strong technical background and a clearly demonstrated expertise in software architecture and software engineering.
- A demonstrated track record of technical leadership and delivering results
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to tactfully advise decision makers
- A commitment to delivering on organizational goals
- Active Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- An advanced degree in Computer Science or Business
- A broad technical background and clearly demonstrated expertise in software engineering: examples include software architecture, Agile software development, programming, database design and web services development.
- Experience developing mission critical systems, working with multi-disciplined teams, and large-scale software intensive systems.
- Experience across the entire software lifecycle, from inception, through design, construction, testing and deployment.
- Experience working in a program offices
- Previous experience managing highly skilled, technical professionals
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email email@example.com. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Architecture, Developer, Construction, Engineer, Software Engineer, Engineering, Technology
Back to top