Digital Communications Hardware Engineering Manager
- El Segundo, CA
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
In this role, you will provide management, technical leadership, and staff development for members of the Reconfigurable Hardware Transceiver section within the Digital Communication Implementation (DCI) department. This section design develops and applies physical layer communication signal processing techniques on FPGA-based communication systems. The section manager is responsible for maintaining and building upon the section's extensive capabilities in these areas.
The manager is also responsible for interfacing with program office customers to define Member of Technical Staff tasking and provide continued JO support. You will be responsible for hiring, budget management, staff mentoring, MTS performance appraisal, laboratory maintenance, and improvements. The selected candidate is also responsible for the review of technical reports and briefings produced by staff within the section as well as budget planning including capital and overhead procurement. The manager will facilitate collaborations with staff internal and external to the DCI department.
- Develop and implement signal processing algorithms with applications to digital receivers and/or communication transceivers and/or digital signal processing primarily on FPGA hardware
- Analysis of signal processing performance using MATLAB, Python, or similar simulation environments
- Prototype of cutting-edge real-time systems for emulation and proof of concept
- Research pertaining to advanced signal processing, GPS technology and/or re-configurable communication processing
- Document work products in briefings and/or technical reports to customers and colleagues
- Candidate will work on a diverse set of projects. It is very important to be hands-on, willing to learn and be comfortable in working in an environment with engineers of diverse backgrounds and expertise
- Recruiting, hiring, performance evaluation and development of junior staff members
- Proposing and staffing new and on-going projects and resolving with resource contentions and task prioritization
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or another related discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant working experience. An advanced degree might be used in lieu of working experience
- Familiarity with full development cycle for FPGA-based modem designs (algorithm development, design capture, simulation, synthesis and place, and route)
- Previous experience as a technical lead on FPGA development
- Prior hands-on laboratory experience pertaining to digital receiver design, testing, or characterization
- Proficiency with any one of the following: C/C++, Python, MATLAB and/or VHDL
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are necessary
- Must have a current and active TS/SCI clearance
- Graduate degree in digital signal processing, digital communications or other related subject areas
- Knowledge matrix organizations, such as ETG is highly desirable
- Demonstrated leadership, including the ability to define new projects and gain program office JO to support MTS within the department
- Experience simulating communication systems in Matlab/Python
- Strong laboratory Digital/Analog testing experience
- Familiarity with GPS/GNSS and other localization technologies
- Experience will full suite of FPGA tools such as Xilinx ISE/Vivado tools, MicroSemi, and Intel
- Experience with software-defined radio, embedded systems, GNURadio, UHD, USRP, etc.
- Experience with Agile tools
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top