Department Director - Communication Software Implementation Department
- El Segundo, CA
Requisition ID: 51641
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
Are you looking for a fun, innovative, challenging, and meaningful experience where you can contribute directly to important projects in support of national security as well as participate in research opportunities? If so, come visit the Communication Software Implementation Department at The Aerospace Corporation and join us in our role as a trusted partner for US government, civil, and commercial customers. Along with our traditional roles of providing unbiased support in software defined radios, reconfigurable hardware transceivers, wireless communication and navigation systems, we are recognized experts in applying non-classical approaches such as machine learning expertise to solve real-world problems in satellite communication, signal intelligence, anti-interference, and others
- Establish the organization's objectives and goals, and communicate them to subordinates, management, and customers.
- Coordinate with higher management to determine and support the organization's structure, staff, and resource needs.
- Implement corporate policies, practices, and operating processes; and recommend improvements to higher management.
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and lead staff to create cutting edge prototypes in all areas of digital communication using best available technologies
- Conduct staff performance reviews and recommend performance improvement, career development, salary and promotion actions.
- Promote and market the organization's capabilities to customers. Engage with customers and higher management in identifying areas to support and develop statements of work and statements of expectations.
- Ensure the technical quality of deliverables (reports, software, services, etc.) to customers.
- Maintain and improve the organization's laboratories to enhance testing and design capabilities.
- Collaborate effectively with other departments in geographically dispersed locations
- While this is a management position, the selected candidate is expected to get involved in a diverse set of technical projects. We go beyond analysis and simulation to build working intelligent Comm prototypes. You also need to be excited about exploring fields and concepts that may be out of your comfort zone.
- Degree from an accredited university in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or another related discipline
- Strong technical experience in Signal Processing, Machine Learning and Digital Communication
- Strong technical leadership skills and prior management experience
- Minimum of 9 years of progressively responsible engineering experience in digital communication and/or space systems
- Successful track record of leading and building teams
- Experience in new business generation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with corporate, customer, and contractor management and staff
- Demonstrated effective mentorship, career development, and interpersonal skills toward subordinates
- Active Secret level clearance with ability to obtain a Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance. (US Citizenship required)
- Ability to travel as needed(
- Advanced degree (Master or PhD) in relevant engineering disciplines
- Aerospace line management experience
- Successful project management experience
- Working knowledge of digital communication prototyping using GNU Radio, SDR#, SoapySDR, X-Midas, etc.
- Strength in more than one of the following programming languages/libraries: Python, C/C++, TensorFlow, scikit-learn, Keras, Theano, PyTorch, Veles, etc.
- Experience in Data Science which includes: data-centric problem formulation, data cleaning hands-on experience as well as classification, regression and reinforcement learning knowledge
- Experience with Air Force and NRO space programs
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: Top Secret
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Implementation Manager, Developer, Engineer, Electrical, Network, Technology, Engineering
Back to top