Communication and Network Systems Engineer
Requisition ID: 43406
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Corporation's Network Systems Department (NSD) is seeking an experienced Communication and Network Systems Engineer specializing in space and ground communication network architecture definition, development, modeling and simulation, performance analysis/assessment, and network management concepts and techniques. The Network Systems Department is a component of the Communication and Network Architectures Subdivision within the Communication Technologies and Engineering Division. NSD supports Space and Missile Systems Center, National Reconnaissance Office, and other US Government, and Civil/Commercial customers in the design, analysis, modeling, simulation, and anomaly resolution of space and ground communication networks. You will play a vital role in supporting multi-disciplinary teams in the development of complex Space and Ground network systems to ensure mission objectives are achieved. This senior engineering staff position requires working closely with our customers to help shape the future of satellite communications for the warfighter.
- Participate in design and prototyping efforts for future satellite communications systems including working with new satellite communications technologies in advanced laboratory facilities
- Support technical definition of emerging satellite systems to provide protected communication services to tactical missions and users
- Conduct technical risk reduction activities, independent feasibility assessment and design trades for advanced satellite communications and network systems
- Conduct specialized technical studies and lead internal research and development (R&D) efforts
- Utilize network testbeds to investigate new technologies and assess system performance
- Participate in various communication and network engineering tasks and projects through network systems architecture definition, development, analysis, modeling & simulation, and prototype development/validation
- Participate in development of testbed, simulation and modeling tools under direction from senior staff members
- Participate in technical meetings with customers and external agencies as needed
- Provide reports and briefings of network performance assessment to customers
- Provide technical leadership for small groups of engineers
- Mentor interns and junior engineers and review their work for quality
- Degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or another related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in communication and network systems
- Strong technical background in digital communication theory, network protocols, and network management
- Experience in network architecture definition/development, trade studies, and requirements/interface definitions
- In-depth understanding of Media Access Control (MAC) and network layers including IPv4
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills, strong communication skills, and ability to interact well in group meeting/working environments
- Ability to present results effectively in briefings and technical reports
- Ability to obtain a security clearance which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- Experience in satellite communication including link and network layers
- Experience in network equipment integration and system prototyping and testing
- Knowledge in network management systems and network security
- Experience in network modeling and simulation
- In-depth understanding of emerging communication and network technologies (e.g., LTE, 5G, Internet of Thing (IoT), Machine Learning, etc.)
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science in the areas of digital communications and network systems
- Experience or understanding of IPv6, IPsec and Carrier Ethernet
- Modeling and simulation experience in Python, STK, SOAP, SignalPro, and/or OPNET preferred
- In-depth understanding of physical and/or transport layers
- Current DoD SECRET security clearance
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : MEMBR-TCH STF SR
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Network, Engineer, Electrical, Network Engineer, Systems Engineer, Technology, Engineering
Back to top