Civil Systems Portfolio and Architecture Assessment, Project Engineer
- Crystal City, VA
Requisition ID: 49041
All Locations: Crystal City, VA (Virginia); El Segundo, CA (California); Pasadena, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Strategic Assessments & Studies (SAS) Division of the Civil Systems Group (CSG) is responsible for conducting independent assessments and strategic studies to assist NASA, NOAA, and other civil customers in agency-level strategic decision-making on future programs and projects. Typical products and services are independent cost/schedule estimates of programs and portfolios, engineering/risk assessments, pre-project support including advanced architecture studies, and the continued development of appropriate tools/processes.
The candidate will support programmatic (cost, schedule, risk) studies to assist NASA, NOAA, the National Academies, and other civil customers in agency-level strategic decision-making on future programs and projects. Work includes performing cost and schedule analysis on NASA and other civil government programs throughout the development lifecycle, detailed assessments of earned value data, and technical risk assessments to provide programmatic health and status.
Support in this position will also consist of:
• Developing and maintaining databases, data sources, and data-driven analytical models. Typical products and services are independent cost/schedule estimates, programmatic assessments, advanced architecture studies, engineering assessments, strategic studies, pre-project support and development of capabilities/tools. Strategic studies work may span across NASA mission directorates including Aeronautics, Exploration, Science, and Space Operations as well as studies related to best practices, standards, Agency infrastructure, and policy.
• Key customers include NASA HQ executive offices of the Administrator, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Technologist, Chief Safety Officer; Center and Flight Projects Office leadership at Goddard Space Flight Center, Marshall Space Flight Center, Ames Research Center, and the Jet Propulsion Lab; Technology Demonstration Missions; as well as NOAA and the National Academies
• Support senior staff on the execution and integration of technical analyses products
• Candidate should be comfortable mentoring junior staff and reviewing the quality of others' assessments and formal deliverables
• Work may also include support to inter-Agency studies with organizations including the Department of Energy, National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) and the Department of Defense
• Candidates should be able to lead, work, and communicate effectively as part of a team in a fast paced, dynamic environment, react quickly to changing requirements and schedules, and provide products of consistently high quality
• Candidates must be able to effectively work with multiple projects simultaneously
• Travel may be required to support various customers
• Candidate should be able to summarize and present analysis findings to upper management and customer senior leadership
• BS in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field is required. An advanced degree is strongly preferred.
• 8 or more years of increasingly responsible and related engineering/scientific experience is required for Project Engineer
• Multidisciplinary experience including spacecraft and launch vehicle concept design and operation, knowledge of NASA missions and technologies, knowledge of NASA development lifecycle, development requirements and guidelines is desired
• Familiarity with current civil space mission development and NASA organizational structure and knowledge of NASA guidance and practices related to cost and schedule estimation
• Experience with tools and processes used in support of the civil space community
• Experience developing and applying related tools and processes in support of advancing the analytical capabilities of the organization
• Experience with the Aerospace Engineering Technology Group matrix and Aerospace program offices preferred
• Experience in systems engineering, risk assessment, cost modeling and analysis, independent cost estimating, and tradespace exploration studies
• Dependability, good interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work on teams are essential
• Experience directly interfacing with customers and delivering comprehensive assessment products is desired
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : PROJ ENGINEER
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Arlington Virginia
Nearest Secondary Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Civil Engineer, Architecture, Project Engineer, Engineer, Systems Engineer, Engineering
Back to top