Astrodynamics Engineering Specialist
Requisition ID: 47054
All Locations: Colorado Springs, CO (Colorado)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Air Force is transforming its space enterprise with warfighting-focused initiatives to maintain U.S. space superiority in the 21st century. As an astrodynamics engineering specialist, you'll be a key member of teams that are developing innovative new missions and capabilities to ensure the U.S. can defend, fight, and win in the space domain. The qualified candidate will provide mission design and astrodynamics analytical support to government customers as they transform current missions and invent new capabilities. Emphasis will be in the areas of space situational awareness (SSA), offensive space control (OSC), defensive space control (DSC), and enhancing the resilience of other mission areas in the Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) enterprise architecture. Customers include HQ AFSPC, the Space Security and Defense Program (SSDP), Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), and others.
- Conduct a range of modeling, simulation, and analysis in areas such as space mission design, orbital maneuvers, orbit estimation, space debris, and space situational awareness
- Provide technical support to AFSPC Space Warfighting Construct and Space Enterprise Vision activities, including the Core Architecture Team, and the Space Security and Defense Program
- Interact directly with Aerospace program office personnel and government customers in the Colorado Springs area and collaborate closely with Aerospace personnel in other locations
- Provide technical expertise and project leadership in the modeling and analysis of SSA, OSC and DSC systems and their broader system-of-systems architectures with a focus on space protection and defense
- Provide independent assessments and lead studies with integrated analyst teams that include government/FFRDC/SETA/contractor members
- Conduct trade studies and comparative performance assessments of system and architecture alternatives to inform customer investment decisions/recommendations
- Support the development and maturation of analysis software tools
- Mentor junior staff and customer personnel
- Occasional travel is required
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, science or related technical discipline with at least ten years of engineering experience
- Significant experience in orbit mechanics/astrodynamics
- Extensive experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis
- Expertise in one or more of the following technical disciplines required: space mission analysis and design, orbital propagation and perturbations, orbit estimation, orbital maneuvers, launch vehicle and satellite operations, collision risk and debris analyses, missile defense analyses, and modeling and simulation
- Broad understanding of the national security space enterprise and space mission systems engineering
- Proven ability to effectively interact with colleagues, contractors, and senior-level government customers
- Extensive experience presenting technical briefings as well as writing technical documentation
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Demonstrated technical team leadership and ability to work independently
- Current SSBI with DoD Top Secret and SCI security clearance
- Experience with satellite design and/or space system research & development
- Experience with DoD space system acquisitions
- Experience generating graphical visualizations of technical analysis results
- Experience with modeling the performance of electro-optical or radiofrequency sensors for SSA or remote sensing
- Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages/tools: C++, Python, Matlab, SIMULINK, C, Fortran, Java
- Experience with current and planned SSA, OSC and DSC systems and architectures, with extensive background in at least one technical discipline related to SSA, OSC and/or DSC
- Experience working with one or more of the major government organizations in the mission area including but not limited to the Space Security and Defense Program (SSDP), Space Superiority Systems Directorate (SMC/SY), Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), and the Space Threat Assessment Cell (STAC)
- Experience working in a government program office or other direct customer support role
- Current SAP access
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : ENGRG SPECIALIST
Clearance Requirement: TS/SSBI
Polygraph: Counter Intelligence Polygraph
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Colorado Springs
Job Segment: Engineer, Security Clearance, ERP, Aerospace, Laboratory, Engineering, Government, Technology, Aviation, Science
Back to top