- Chantilly, VA
Requisition ID: 53063
All Locations: Chantilly, VA (Virginia)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning government to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking an individual for Systems Architecting position within the Space Architecture Department located in Chantilly, VA. The Space Systems Architecture Engineer performs architecture assessment, modeling, analysis, and conceptual design activities as a member of the Space Architecture Department (SAD). SAD provides expertise in architecture methods, processes, and tools to an extremely broad range of customers across Defense, Intelligence and Civil space partners. Members of SAD support and lead architecture development activities through the execution of trade studies, technology assessments, strategic road mapping, program analyses, and modeling ranging in complexity from prototype systems to enterprise architectures. SAD applies disciplined system architecting principles and leads cross-functional teams to address a wide array of decision problems facing our customers.
- Plan and participate in a broad range of architecture-level systems and architecture engineering activities with an emphasis on the development and evaluation of innovative and cost-effective space system concepts and architectures.
- Use, develop, and integrate analytical methods and tools to evaluate architectural concepts and system conceptual designs for cost, schedule, performance, risk, and resilience to disruptive events or threats
- Demonstrate effective use of operations research or industrial engineering methods in support of architecture level decision analysis
- Lead and participate in technology assessments and process development tasks in support of architecture conceptualization and development
- Apply disciplined system architecting methods, processes, and tools, such as Aerospace System Architecting Method championed by Eberhardt Rechtin and Mark Maier, for architecture-level trades, in a broad range of architecture-level assessment, modeling, analysis, and conceptual design activities
- Develop and execute innovative methods for advancing the state of the practice of model-based engineering (MBE) to enhance our customers' ability to conduct systems engineering across the architecture lifecycle.
- Develop and execute innovative methods for advancing the state of the practice of model-based systems engineering (MBSE) to enhance our customers' ability to conduct systems engineering across the architecture lifecycle.
- Closely collaborate with other Aerospace personnel to marshal technical expertise in multiple technical disciplines and domains to enable concurrent engineering approaches to address complex problems
- Work with Aerospace program office, customer, and contractor personnel to elicit and identify needs, requirements, and constraints for studies; scope, plan, and execute studies; and effectively communicate task status, methods, results, and recommendations in briefings and formal technical reports.
This position is available as Member of Technical Staff or Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Required for Member of Technical Staff
- A Bachelor's degree in science, mathematics, or engineering
- Minimum of 2 years of technical experience in space, aviation, and/or defense domains. A related advanced degree might be used in lieu of years of experience.
- Experience in systems engineering and project management
- Demonstrated ability to organize and lead cross-functional, cross-organizational teams to execute studies and assessments
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with customers, Aerospace program offices, and contractors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present methods and results effectively in briefings, formal reports, and informal communications
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Required for Sr. Member of Technical Staff
- Minimum of 5 years of technical experience in space, aviation, and/or defense domains. A related advanced degree might be used in lieu of years of experience.
- Experience in methods and processes for early life cycle systems engineering and system acquisition
- Experience with Government and commercial acquisition methods and processes
- Experience with technology assessment, supply chain risk assessment, and/or industrial health assessment
- Familiarity with spacecraft, payloads, ground systems, launch systems, missile systems, and/or aircraft systems
- Familiarity with Python or Java programming
- Familiarity with Model-Based Engineering
- Familiarity or interest in Business Sciences to include cost analysis, business case analysis, economic analysis, and earned value management analysis
- A Master's or Doctorate degree in science, mathematics, or engineering and/or a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree
- Current TS/SCI issued by the U.S. government.
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
Clearance Requirement: None
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
All Aerospace employees working in organizations with technical responsibilities are required to apply for and maintain at least a Secret clearance. U.S. citizenship is required for those positions.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion,genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reviewThe Equal Employment Opportunity is the Lawposter andthe supplement, as well as thePay Transparency Policy Statement.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Architecture, Engineer, Aerospace Engineering, Supply, Military Intelligence, Engineering, Operations, Government
Back to top