Applied Optical Physicist
Requisition ID: 43822
All Locations: El Segundo, CA (California)
A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence. With challenges spanning clandestine to commercial, you'll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration - to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you'll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Atomic, Materials & Device Physics Section of the Photonic Technologies Department at The Aerospace Corporation has an opening for a highly motivated scientist to conceive, design, and conduct experimental research and technology development in optoelectronic device physics and photonic integration for applications such as optical signal processing, microwave photonics, optical imaging and detection, and/or applied atomic physics. The successful applicant will support these activities with experimentally validated physics-based modeling and simulation of material and device test structures, and with the design, simulation, fabrication and testing of integrated photonic test articles and device prototypes. Familiarity with electronic, photonic, and/or spectroscopic characterization techniques is critical. Familiarity with (or interest in) TCAD design, layout, and physics/performance simulation software is highly desired. The applicant will work independently or as a member of interdisciplinary project teams to support both internal and external customers as a technical authority, consultant, primary investigator, or project leader. He or she may lead or organize technical efforts or project teams and support the professional development of junior staff as a mentor.
- Design passive and active photonic/optoelectronic devices (discrete components and photonic integrated circuits)
- Develop critical new analytical techniques
- Conduct laboratory experiments to establish, verify, and/or validate critical functional parameters of materials, prototype test structures and devices, and/or contractor-supplied optoelectronic/photonic devices
- Analyze and assess photonic technology developed by spaceflight hardware contractors for use in future space systems
- Participate in interdisciplinary and inter-organizational teams and external collaborations on programs within areas of research
- Assess contractor simulation models and results; verify results using alternative methods and approaches
- Devise and recommend improvements in data reduction and analysis methods
- Prepare reports and presentations to document knowledge generation and outcomes of customer/contractor support
- Support offsite field campaigns or customer meetings as required
This position could be filled a Member of Technical Staff or a Research Scientist.
- Master's degree in applied physics, electrical engineering, chemistry, or a closely related field from a recognized institution
- Proficiency in optoelectronic material/device physics, integrated photonics, or applied laser and optical spectroscopies
- Proficiency with photonic device design and modeling software suites including Lumerical and Phoenix Optodesigner
- A demonstrable level of innovation, creativeness, and initiative
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proficient oral and written communication skills
- An understanding of instrument control and data acquisition software such as LabView, and data analysis/computational simulation software such as MatLab, Mathematica or Python
- The ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Ph.D. in applied physics, electrical engineering, chemistry, or a closely related field from a recognized institution
- A working knowledge of solid-state laser technology, elecro-optic materials and techniques, and nonlinear optical materials and techniques.
- Familiarity with compound semiconductor synthesis techniques including molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) and metal-organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD)
- Proficiency with multiphysics simulation tools such as Silvaco Atlas or Comsol
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers and customers
Transcripts are required for this position.
Additional Requisition Details
System Job Title : MEMBER-TECH STF
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Relocation Available: Yes
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Aerospace Corporation has provided independent technical and scientific research, development, and advisory services to national security space programs since 1960. We operate a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) for the United States Air Force and the National Reconnaissance Office, and support all national security space programs. We also apply more than 50 years of experience with space systems to provide critical solutions to technologically complex systems in such areas as communications, shipping, law enforcement, and cyber, among others.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our greatest asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Semiconductor, Chemical Research, Physicist, Physics, Engineer, Science, Engineering
Back to top