5G and Internet of Space Things Wireless Network Engineer
- El Segundo, CA
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
To realize the momentous goals and swift pace needed for future space systems, The Aerospace Corporation's Network Systems Department (NSD) seeks a 5G and Internet of Space Things (IoST) Wireless Space Network Engineer specializing in 5G space/ground architecture definition, development, analysis and design of 5G and cloud-based systems for a wide range of next generation of space systems. NSD is part of the division within The Aerospace Corporation responsible for communications systems of all sorts. From here, NSD supports Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), and other US Government, and Civil/Commercial customers in the design, analysis, modeling, simulation, and anomaly resolution of space systems. As a member of NSD, you will play a vital role in building future space systems with challenging and impactful mission objectives by leading technical teams and providing technical expertise in the areas of network and cloud systems architecture and design.
From our inception, our highly skilled technical staff has focused on ensuring the success of every mission and developing the most effective and economic space-related hardware and software in the world. Our great asset is the technical expertise of our people. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are staffed by some of the leading scientists in the world.
- Lead various 5G/IoST architecture and concept studies to develop technology solutions and recommendations
- Lead wireless communication and network engineering tasks and projects through 5G and cloud systems architecture definition, development, analysis, modeling & simulation, and prototype development/validation
- Lead development of department's 5G/6G modeling & simulation, prototyping and testbed capabilities
- Lead development of innovative concepts and algorithms in supporting areas of systems management, performance/reliability analysis, traffic modeling, software-defined networking, networking slicing, NFV, and network resiliency
- Provide technical analysis and technical leadership to develop the next generation of wireless network and cloud system architectures and requirements
- Lead specialized technical studies and internal research and development (R&D) efforts
- Develop and assess the performance, security, and resiliency of satellite systems
- Provide recommendations based on technical analysis of performance, affordability and risk
- Utilize network testbeds to investigate new technologies and assess system performance
- Identify and develop new business opportunities with new and existing customers
- Provide independent technical leadership, mentorship, and direction to less experienced staff
- Coordinate tasks and participate in technical meetings for customers working closely with members of diverse teams across Government and industry
- Present technical and project status briefings to management and customers
- Participate in industry events, conferences, workshops related to 5G/6G and other emerging technologies
- Degree in engineering or science from an accredited university
- Minimum 12 years of experience in communication and wireless networking
- Direct experience in developing 5G network technical solutions and in-depth understanding of 5G life cycle
- Strong technical background in 5G, IoT, cloud technologies, wireless network protocols, network virtualization, and software defined networking
- Experience with cloud system architecture definition/development, trade studies, and requirements/interface definitions
- Experience with using IP routing protocols, including TCP/IP, IPsec, and IPv4/6
- Experience in network design, analysis, and modeling & simulation
- Exceptional verbal and written English language skills, strong communication skills, and ability to interact well in group meeting/working environments
- Ability to present results effectively in briefings and technical reports
- Ability to obtain a security clearance which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science in the areas of digital communications and network systems
- Minimum 15 years of experience in wireless communication and networking
- Experience with military and commercial satellite communication systems
- In-depth understanding of Physical, Media Access Control (MAC), and network layers
- In-depth understanding of emerging communication and network technologies (e.g., SDN, 5G, Internet of Thing (IoT), etc.)
- Experience in Python, Matlab, and C/C++
- Experience in AI/ML and network automation
- Experience in network and cyber security
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Back to top