Commercial Lending Appraiser
What you should know about the role
This position assists in leading a team of real estate specialists responsible for determining the market value of improved real estate to determine value and suitability as collateral for a commercial loan. Compiles and analyzes comparable sales, income and cost data, as applicable, to arrive at an estimated value. Also reviews other third-party or internally-prepared written appraisals and evaluations of
What you should know about Advia
Advia is a fast-growing Credit Union that is positioned in the top 3% of credit unions across the United States with nearly 2 billion in assets. We offer very similar product and services as the big banks with a focus on saving our members money while providing financial advantages. We are rooted in our communities and believe we have a responsibility to give back outside of our four branch walls through volunteering and charitable donations. The work environment at Advia is fast-paced, performance based and fun infused. We certainly live by the saying “work hard, play hard.” As an employee of Advia, you can expect regular and constructive feedback, development opportunities, great benefits, excellent co-workers and engaged managers.
As a Commercial Lending Appraiser, you will have opportunities to:
- Be mentally stimulated and provided with the opportunity to use problem solving skills
- Be an important part of a fun, friendly and fast-paced team
- Self-manage your day to day work schedule
- Prepares evaluations of commercial real estate given available data, including comparable sales, costs and other market data to best determine a market value.
- Act as a daily resource for Commercial Real Estate Specialists including reviewing and approving completed evaluations, reviewing and approving commercial appraisals, and distributing workload across the team.
- Communicates with realtors and various other real estate professionals to gather information necessary to complete an evaluation of appraisal, which includes but is not limited to assessments, zoning regulations, soil and water maps, as well as data regarding values of neighboring properties.
- Conducts internal audit reviews of selected commercial or mortgage appraisals.
- Receives requests for appraisals from lending officers and issues a letter of engagement for external appraisals, when necessary. Responds to inquiries about appraisals, either from within the organization, realtors or members.
- Reviews and analyzes data such as income and expenses related to rental properties, replacement costs, or past sales, recent sales of comparable properties, and evaluates the location for desirability, considering trends and impending changes that could affect area value.
- As warranted, physically inspects properties for condition and quality of construction and completes appropriate forms to document inspection.
- Complete evaluations or appraisals of watch list and OREO collateral as needed.
- Maintains a list of approved appraisers, conducting periodic and annual reviews to ensure continued adherence to Advia’s standards.
- Must comply with all company policies and procedures, applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to, the Bank Secrecy Act, the Patriot Act, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
Able to travel to inspection sites and be mobile around established residents or resident construction areas with limited physical exertion and occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs. Must be capable of climbing /
descending stairs in emergency situation. Must be able to operate routine office equipment including telephone, copier, facsimile, and calculator. Must be able to routinely perform work on computer for an
average of 6-8 hours per day, when necessary. Must be able to work extended hours whenever required or requested by management. Must be capable of regular, reliable and timely attendance.
Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with minimal noise.
Mental and/or Emotional Requirements
Must be able to perform job functions independently or with limited supervision and work effectively either on own or as part of a team. Must be able to read and carry out various written instructions and follow oral instructions. Must be able to speak clearly and deliver information in a logical and understandable sequence. Must be capable of dealing calmly and professionally with numerous different personalities from diverse cultures at various levels within and outside of the organization and demonstrate highest levels of customer service and discretion when dealing with the public. Must be able to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines / requirements for extreme accuracy and quality and/or fast pace. Must be able to effectively handle multiple, simultaneous, and changing priorities. Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
Nothing in this position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description is not a contract and should not be construed as a guarantee of employment for any specific period of time. Advia Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants based on race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, disability, age, or any other category protected by law.
Skills & Experience
Three years to five years of similar or related experience, including preparatory experience.
Possesses MAI appraisal license or general certification. Able to obtain the necessary continuing education hours each year to keep the license or certification current.
A significant level of trust, credibility and diplomacy is required. In-depth dialogues, conversations and explanations with customers, direct and indirect reports and outside vendors can be of a sensitive and/or highly confidential nature. Communications may involve motivating, influencing, educating and/or advising others on matters of significance.
General knowledge and familiarity with real estate loan documentation.
Back to top