Sr. Threat Research Engineer
Location: Washington DC Region
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Our Client in the Montgomery County, MD area is looking for a strong Malware Research Engineer. This individual will perform malware analysis, campaign analysis, and threat hunting through client data to make that information meaningful for customers and available through products and intelligence reports. You'll be a part of a global team of dynamic and creative threat researchers focused on finding malware, understanding how it works and using that knowledge to improve our products. This role is primarily responsible for creating customer-facing and internal deliverables as part of our client's threat intelligence offering
- Analyze malware and threat data from internal and external sources in a proactive self-directed fashion as well as in response to customer inquiries.
- Analyze threat campaigns, author customer-specific threat reports, and publish research results around specific verticals or geographies.
- Maintain a list of current events, threats, and other information that customers should be aware of.
- Report and disseminate information to our most important customers on threats that may affect them, such as emerging malware, security developments and insightful summaries of current events.
- Collaborate on research projects with the broader threat research team.
- Leverage massive amount of threat data to produce information and reports that protect customers.
- Work effectively as part of a remote team using chat, video chat and conference calls.
- A well-rounded understanding of the malware and information security threat landscape. You should love this field and have a passion for learning.
- The ability to develop analytical hypotheses based on your background; prove (or disprove) those hypotheses through your research; communicate that information to customers both verbally and in writing.
- Present complex technical topics to senior managers, our customers and internally.
- Creative ideas for threat research and the ability to manifest them using big data techniques.
- Ability to comfortably communicate directly with customers and the security community.
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages.
- Demonstrable understanding of the internet threat landscape.
- At least 3 years of malware analysis experience.
- Motivation to dig through internal and open source data to find threat information and use it to provide value to customers.
- Deep curiosity and a drive to understand malware and how it works.
- Self-directed and accountable.
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Threat-hunting and/or incident response experience.
- Information security community experience; a blog, website, published papers, conference presentations, or other experience on the public side of the security field.
- Experience with Yara or Snort.
- Experience with Sandbox.
- Experience working remotely for a large information security vendor.
- Located in a US timezone, available during US business hours.
Back to top