A Brooklyn based NFP is looking for a senior accountant. This position performs general accounting tasks such as monthly recurring journal entries, investment accounting, grant accounting, bank reconciliations, account reconciliations and analyses, and all other assigned special projects. Performs all work within established accounting guidelines an in accordance with policy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare bank reconciliations for Operating and Payroll bank accounts.
- Maintain schedule of pledge receivables due from private donors.
- Maintain and update prepaid insurance and expense schedules. Prepare monthly journal entries. Reconcile monthly.
- Prepare and updates all monthly Balance Sheet schedules.
- Prepare monthly payroll accrual journal entry.
- Prepare monthly Cash Ledger posting using Lawson Financial system.
- Prepare daily cash balance analysis.
- Record and reconcile Passport Revenues
- Prepare private and government grants revenues and expense reconciliations.
- Calculate all fixed asset additions, retirements, and transfers. Ensure adjustments are processed correctly. Calculates and post depreciation and amortization expenses.
- Reconcile all accumulated depreciation and depreciation expense account activity. Reconcile and balance to general ledger. Maintain fixed asset schedules.
- Prepare schedules for the annual financial audit and the IRS Form 990 e.g. Accounts Payable, Accrued expenses
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
Supporting Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly general journal entries for the financial reports. Coordinate the preparation of the monthly general ledger financial report in accordance with agreed upon deadlines.
- Review contributions and revenues monthly; work with development staff to prepare quarterly reconciliation schedule. Prepare development journal entries for input into financial system. Perform monthly reconciliation between general ledger financial system (Lawson) and Foundation database (Raisers Edge).
- Record credit card revenues for Library (59 Branch accounts) and Development Department. Reconcile credit card revenues against Development database.
- Update monthly investment schedules. Prepare and input related journal entries. Reconcile monthly brokerage statement to general ledger. Prepare annual investment summaries detailing investment purchases, sales, interest, dividends, realized and unrealized gains.
- Prepare schedules for the annual financial audit and the IRS Form 990 e.g. Investments, Contributed revenues and expenses
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education in Finance or Accounting.
- A minimum of five years of Government/fund accounting experience
- Thorough knowledge of accounting theory, concepts and practices applicable to accounting requirements of non-profit agencies.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills for monitoring accounting records and resolving accounting problems
- Must display team spirit, attention to detail, ability to work well with others, be goal oriented, and be able to follow through on projects from initiation to completion
- Must demonstrate the ability to establish work priorities and apply financial accounting principles and methods to daily tasks.
- Computer literate with knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software applications. Knowledge of Lawson accounting software a plus.