Product Development Engineer II
- Hillsboro, OR
Acumed is a global leader of innovative orthopaedic and medical solutions developed to improve patient care. With over three decades of experience in the orthopaedic industry, our mission is to aid the afflicted through the ingenuity of our minds, the labor of our hands and the compassion of our hearts. The company is headquartered in Hillsboro, Oregon with a global sales and distribution network supported by offices worldwide.
Product Development Engineer II
The Product Development Engineer is responsible for development of a product from concept to commercialization. This includes research, planning, idea creation and realization, concept development, specification generation, maintenance of product designs, testing and validation protocols, as well as effective communication with team members, management, and customers.
- Leads small teams.
- Effectively articulates and influences technical discussions cross-functionally.
- Communicates effectively with sales and field reps.
- Presents to larger internal audiences.
- Creates new test protocols for more complex experiments and fixturing. Applies and adapts ASTM standards.
- Performs critical CAD print/model reviews for tolerancing and manufacturability and translates outcomes into developing Best Known Methods (BKM's) and associated quality checks.
- Performs 3D tolerance modeling and analysis to design constructs to ensure functionality and manufacturability.
- Investigates and understands Intellectual Property (IP) landscape for projects assigned.
- Utilizes Root Cause Analysis tools (RCA) to investigate, analyze and resolve more difficult issues.
- Authors new Clinical Data Reports (CDR's).
- Identifies project/product risks and assigns severity and probabilities within the Risk Management (RMR) system.
- Participates in creating design control documents.
- Provides product training and trade show booth support at HCP and sales training functions for specific Acumed products.
- Applies a wider range of statistical tools to testing methods, interpretation of test results and conclusions.
- Researches and develops working knowledge of 2 or more technical specialties as assigned by manager.
- Applies clinical research data/conclusions to assigned projects when relevant.
- Understands how to leverage current manufacturing capabilities to product designs.
- Gains and applies indication anatomy knowledge to support product development projects assigned.
- Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, Bio-Mechanical Engineering, or Equivalent with 2 or more years' experience*
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, effectively with teammates and managers
- Ability to lead PDTs on small projects
- Ability to write test protocols & reports and conduct testing under limited supervision
- Applied knowledge of 3D/2D software, ability to model and create drawings of moderate complexity for plates, screws and or instruments
- Knowledgeable and ability to apply Level 1 & 2 GD&T principles to technical drawings
- Knowledgeable and ability to apply basic FEA analysis to mitigate design failure modes
- Proficient in creating and managing ECO's through completion
- Knowledgeable and ability to apply basic root cause analysis techniques to solve issues
- Ability to read and understand medical journal articles and present data effectively to peers and perform clinical summaries and write clinical data reports.
- Ability to read and understand patents.
- Knowledgeable and ability to apply and navigate Acumed's Design control process
- Completion and certification for Level 100 and 200 Anatomy and product training
- Demonstrated understanding of Anatomy and clinical issues in indications for assigned projects
- Knowledgeable in at least one technical specialty area
- Ability to conduct in depth literature searches and create a competitive product matrix
Acumed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
As an equal opportunity employer, Acumed is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying to Acumed and need special assistance or accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com .
Back to top