Sr. Data Engineer - Central Tech
Do you have a passion for Big Data technologies? Are you excited by the idea of crafting systems processing billions of events per day, helping guide the development of one of the biggest game franchises on the planet? Do you live and breathe Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Java, Scala, Python, and similar technologies in a cloud environment? If so, our Senior Data Engineer role in our Vancouver, BC office is for you!
As an integral part of our Data Services team, you'll help build and extend our petabyte-scale Data Lake, and design/build new near-realtime systems using modern and cutting-edge streaming technologies on our AWS-based platform.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing, maintaining, and extending our Java / Python code base, including our AWS-based ingestion pipeline, custom ETL, queueing, and Hadoop components.
• Mentor junior/intermediate Data Engineers and Data Architects on best practices for various development methodologies and cloud-based big data architecture.
• Accountable for the development and production-readiness of multiple large-scale components throughout our data pipeline.
• Balance the needs of a highly dynamic customer environment with the need for robust production systems.
• Approach all systems and interactions with a customer-first focus, including a solid understanding of the trade-offs between rapid solutions and overall platform stability.
• Working with our Development Manager, drive an overall architectural vision that efficiently delivers on both near-realtime and batch processes.
• Work alongside our Data Architects and Ops teams to ensure our AWS-based platform delivers on customer needs, including maintenance of our existing systems and design/delivery on new requirements.
• A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
• Proven verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical ideas to end users.
• Proven ability to understand customer workflows, analyze architecturally significant requirements, and implement systems to match.
• 5+ years of experience with Java, Python, Scala, and/or other relevant languages.
• 3+ years of experience with Big Data technologies (Hadoop, Kafka, etc.).
• Experience with Kafka Streaming.
• Experience with real-time data processing.
• Experience with version control.
• Experience with Unix/Linux.
• Experience with event based micro-service architectures.
• Experience with SQL and database a strong nice-to-have.
• Experience working with cloud infrastructures.
• Knowledgeable and passionate about software development best practices, including testing and build automation
What We Offer
• An excellent salary
• 25 days holidays
• Annual bonus program
• Annual pay review
• Pension matching contributions
• Top-tier healthcare for you and your family
• Life insurance coverage
• Free Activision Games
• Snacks 24/7
• Flexible working practices, based on the belief that the quality of your work is not dependent on the number of hours sitting behind a desk
• A culture that emphasizes continual learning and improvement, with opportunities for career progression, travel, and a commitment to open source
We're headquartered in Santa Monica, California, housing multiple teams across many disciplines of Marketing, PR, Sales, Supply Chain and other corporate functions such as HR, IT, Legal, Facilities and Finance. Santa Monica is the nerve center of our company, where the best ideas combine with unrivalled rigor to create the biggest and best entertainment experiences in the world.
Great Games Start with Great People! This is an exciting time to join us!
Ask anyone who works at Activision, or with Activision, their favorite thing about it, and they'll tell you, it's the people. We have world class brands, infrastructure and resources, but our success doesn't come from assembly lines producing widgets. Our success comes from people producing greatness together. We are nothing without our employee's brilliance. So if you're interested in our biggest priority, it's the people.
Activision is more than just the leading developer and publisher of video games; we are the creators of some of the world's biggest, most ground-breaking titles in the industry. Our portfolio includes Call of Duty®, Crash Bandicoot™, and Destiny.
Activision is a division of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI), headquartered in Santa Monica, California with locations across the globe. Activision Blizzard is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology, and entertainment. A member of the S&P 500 and recognized on the 2018 FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list, Activision Blizzard has operations throughout the world with approximately 10,000 employees and players in 196 countries.
The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Back to top