Senior Software Engineer, Products
- Vancouver, Canada
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer, Products
Job Description:Want to be responsible for the awesome gaming experience of hundreds of millions of players? How about building a scalable platform that enables key revenue-driving and player engagement features in world-renowned games?
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard, Inc. We run every part of a player's online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, and Skylanders.
The work we do together every day impacts almost half a billion players around the world. We solve big company challenges with a small company feel. We are technology-driven with a culture of openness. This means collaborating to solve interesting challenges, enjoying the freedom to talk to anyone, and always feeling respected. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much.
Your Role, Your Impact:
We're looking for a senior software engineer (SSE) to join up with the development team that designs, builds, runs, and evolves our in-game social, progression, rewards, and monetization services platforms for the Call of Duty franchise and other popular Activision titles.
In this role, you'll be hands-on in designing and delivering the services that directly enable game features driving revenue and player engagement. You'll see your contributions influencing our players' experiences in major ways.
This is a full-time position based at Demonware's office in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, reporting to a Senior Engineering Manager in the Products department.
- Build innovative and scalable services.
- Design and build highly-scalable services using open-source technologies to deliver key progression, rewards, monetization, and social game features.
- Be an essential part of a full-service, cross-disciplinary software development team, participating in all stages of the development process: technical design, prototyping, peer reviews, testing, production deployment, and sustainment.
- Investigate and resolve problems at scale for our mission-critical services. Contribute to root cause analysis efforts. Help the team implement fixes and apply what we've learned to prevent recurring issues.
- Demonstrate a customer-focused mindset, keeping the success of our game studio partners and an excellent player experience front and center at all times.
- Influence our software development community.
- Be a contributing member of the worldwide Demonware software development community. Bring knowledge and best practices into the team and share your expertise with other teams who will benefit from it.
- Share comprehensive design feedback in the development of new services and service architecture, both with your own team members and with other teams across the company.
- Build long-term working relationships with senior online developers, technical directors, and producers across Activision's game studios.
- Strengthen the culture of service ownership at Demonware. Engage in mentoring more junior team members to level up this mindset in other engineers.
- 6+ years relevant work experience
- Expertise in designing and building software for services platforms
- Excellence in writing and reviewing code, preferably in Python
- Experience building applications that use MySQL, Cassandra, and/or Redis
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks
- Experience delivering within Scrum/Agile development methodologies
- Experience working in a business-critical production environment
- Experience implementing robust service orchestration
- Experience working with high-volume, consumer-facing applications
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization best practices
- Experience working with VMs, Linux containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience working in game economy or social networks
- Instincts for an investigative approach and a curiosity to apply new technologies
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and requirements
- Ownership of initiatives from inception through deployment and sustainment
- Excellence in proactive, open-minded collaboration across teams
What Demonware Offers:
Relocation support, 5 weeks of vacation plus 3 bonus days in December, pension, and top-tier medical, dental, and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents.
To find out more, visit: https://demonware.net/careers
Demonware by the numbers:
- 469+ million gamers
- 3.2+ million concurrent online gamers
- 100+ games
- 300,000 requests per second at peak
- Average query response time of <.02 second
- 630,000+ metrics a minute
- 132 billion+ API calls per month
As an independent studio that's part of Activision Blizzard, Inc., Demonware is responsible for developing and running the online services for some of the largest entertainment franchises in the world, including Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, and Skylanders. We work side by side with Activision's game studios to deliver a Games as a Service platform at a massive scale. We ensure those games stay online, 24/7 through peak global launch events and beyond. We have offices in Vancouver, Canada; Dublin, Ireland; and Shanghai, China.
The Products department is responsible for the online services product suite that serves the Call of Duty franchise and Activision's other major titles. We work closely with title project teams at Demonware and the studios to make sure they have the features they need for their upcoming games. We chart a long-term vision for these products to provide the capabilities that enable Activision's game studios to focus on building the best games in the world.
Back to top