Senior Software Engineer - Application Platform
- Dublin, Ireland
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer - Application Platform
Senior Software Engineer, Application Platform
Would you get excited about creating reliable and scalable online services and features, to be used by millions of players all around the world?
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard. We run every part of the players' online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
Our services impact almost half a billion players, we solve big company challenges with a small company feel.
Do you love engineering, online/multiplayer technology, games, and working with other senior technical staff? Then we'd love to hear from you!
About This Role: You would be joining the Application Platform team, who are responsible for the libraries, services and tools with which other teams build game-facing products and services. We deal with the difficult challenge of making online service development easier for our colleagues and customers in Demonware and elsewhere in Activision.
Our technology is always evolving to support more users, be more efficient and make life easier for other Demonware engineers who build services and game features. You would be helping to evolve it for the future.
Day to Day:
- Develop, maintain and evolve the application platform libraries, services and tools according to Demonware's standards of reliability and quality
- Work on a broad and challenging set of software engineering problems to enable faster, more reliable and easier service development in our data centers
- Liaise with other teams on feature implementation, ensuring their requirements are met in a timely appropriate manner
- Ensure all components are highly scalable and maintainable
- Own the features and components developed
- Contribute to and review designs and code from other teams throughout the company
- Support our customer-facing teams as they roll-out new features to game-studio partners, and provide support and consultancy to our colleagues around the world
- Partner with other engineers to troubleshoot problems with online and multiplayer features, and provide an excellent customer experience
- Provide mentorship on best practices for backend development and integration
What Demonware Offers: Relocation support, 25 days of vacation and 3 bonus days in December, Free Activision Games, Flexible working practices, Pension, top-tier medical, dental and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents. To read more: https://demonware.net/careers
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent program
- 4-6 years Software Development experience
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills allowing effect interactions with internal/external teams
- Love to code. Excellent development skills, knowledge of either or both of Python and C++ is a plus, but not required.
- Previous experience designing APIs for use by other developers. Can understand and explain what makes a well-designed API
- Knowledge of database design, including MySQL and NoSQL databases
- A good understanding of networking protocols: TCP, HTTP, TLS, etc.
- Ability to analyze requirements and make corresponding design decisions
- Has initiative, and is able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
- Experience with game development or game engines
- Experience with continuous integration and agile methodologies
- Experience with building backend services, including skills in:
- Erlang or a similar language
- Linux & open-source technologies
- Experience with large scale services (up to millions of concurrent users)
Back to top