Senior Manager, User Research
- Santa Monica, CA
Job Title:Senior Manager, User Research
Job Description:Your Platform
Founded in 1979, Activision has continuously disrupted the world of entertainment as a leader in the videogame industry. With a history of delivering iconic game changers -- like Pitfall ® , Tony Hawk ®, Guitar Hero ®, Crash Bandicoot™, Skylanders ™ and Call of Duty ® -- our obsession is delighting our players around the globe. Focused and committed to innovation, we consistently deliver the most beloved, engaging and successful entertainment.
And while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a passionate, talented and diverse team of people producing greatness together. So, if you're interested in our biggest priority, it's our people.
We're currently driving the next era for our company and community by creating amazing experiences for fans and continuing to make Activision an inclusive place where everyone can thrive.
Join us, make history. To learn more, check us out at www.activision.com, www.activisiongamesblog.com or @Activision on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Activision is looking for a passionate and experienced Research Manager to oversee and support the quality and development of the research staff for some of the world's best-known franchises. Your role will primarily focus on providing oversight and feedback on the quality of research performed across multiple projects, educating the research staff in advanced research methodologies, and focusing them on their personal career development. The ideal candidate is a craft expert open to leaving the core research work to others and has a passionate interest in improving the quality and success of the staff members that report to them to conduct the research required.
- Oversees research staff to carry out research using a variety of methods (including, but not limited to: usability, playtesting, balance testing, focus groups, interviews, surveys, heuristic evaluations, card sorts, exploratory research, and field studies)
- Reviews the team's execution of research on a project or franchise level (determined by scope of product)
- Evangelizes the importance and benefits of systematic user research, inspiring development teams to integrate user testing into their development schedules
- Implements process improvement initiatives
- Offers design suggestions based on observation, research, and expertise
- Provides sound advice to clients backed by clear and defensible supporting experiences or research
- Challenges stakeholders when research value becomes sub-optimal
- Steps in to conduct user research on an as-needed basis
- Occasionally travels to development studios as needed
- Bachelor's degree required (preferred branches of psychology, anthropology, human factors, human computer interaction, communications, market research, game design, or related field). Advanced degree preferred
- Must have a passion for user research and video games
- At least seven years of experience conducting or overseeing user research for console or PC games. Experience testing mobile games is a plus
- At least three years of experience in a research team management role
- Excellent interpersonal communication (both written and verbal)
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Adaptable and quick learner that enjoys tackling a large variety of problems
- An understanding of, and experience with, conducting scientific studies with participants of all ages
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for 'Every World' - we've got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Back to top