Lead Core Engineer - Sledgehammer Games
- Foster City, CA
Job Title:Lead Core Engineer - Sledgehammer Games
Job Description:Your Platform
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia - we're the videogame development team behind Call of Duty ® : Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty ® : Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty ® : WWII . Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we're focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks - which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we've been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we're looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it's like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
As a Lead Core Engineer you will be a part of a world class game development team on a AAA title. You will lead a team of engineers to improve and develop core engineering systems in the Call of Duty technology in order to deliver a best in class title. Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Architect, refactor and maintain game and low-level engine systems
- Design, write, debug and refine core systems, features, tools and infrastructure as needed
- Contribute extensively to the core engine
- Collaborate with other studios to further improve the Call of Duty technology
- Identify, diagnose and resolve runtime and author time issues
- Communicate features and collaborate with engineering and content teams
- Participate in the design, performance and code review process
- Providing input with other engineering leads to develop high level goals and direction
- Motivate and manage a small team of fellow core engineers
- Building and organizing team backlogs, sprints and roadmaps
- Mentor more junior engineers and be an efficiency multiplier for the team
- Report to the Engineering Director
- Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science, Engineering, or Math-related field
- 8+ years programming experience in real-time systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in and knowledge of C/C++, data structures, performance, and multi-threaded programming techniques
- Experience with profiling and performance tuning of code
- Contributed extensively to the development of two or more shipped games, PC or console.
- Proficient with 3D math including linear algebra (vector math, matrices)
- Thorough knowledge of software design practices including modular architecture, event-driven architecture, and software design patterns
- Ability to quickly understand and work with internal and externally developed code
- A strong passion for video games of many kinds
- Expert knowledge with computer game technologies including: AI programming, physics, 3D programming, animation, collision detection
- Demonstrated ability to write clean, readable, portable, reliable, and optimized code on modern game consoles
- Contributed extensively to the development of at least three shipped console games
- Experience managing engineers
- Closely collaborated with offsite engineers on a large project
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for 'Every World' - we've got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Back to top