Expert Software Engineer
- Sherman Oaks, CA
Job Title:Expert Software Engineer
Job Description: Job Title: Sr. Software Engineer
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Programming
Department: Central Tech
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
We are looking for a senior engineer who is focused on creating online features for AAA multiplayer games, including Call of Duty. A successful candidate will have a passion for games, engineering, working with other senior technical staff, and online/multiplayer technology. An example of a project you might work on: code up a matchmaking service in Python, have it write to a Redis backend, test it in a Linux environment, understand its performance characteristics at scale, and also create the feature in-game. If this sounds interesting, then we want to talk to you!
• Developing and integrating custom backend online services to create online and multiplayer game features that are reliable and scale to be used by millions of players all around the world
• Own, operate and support the services and features you develop
• Working as a partner to game studios, designing online and multiplayer player experiences, and implementing features deep within game-specific engines
• Working with game studio engineers to troubleshoot problems with online and multiplayer features, and provide an excellent customer experience
• When necessary, travel to game studios to embed in the studio's development process, from design to delivery
• Provide insight and mentorship to Demonware's backend engineers on best practices for game studio development and integrations
• Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent program
• Experience working on online and multiplayer features in AAA video games o Excellent C++ and LUA scripting skills o Experience with multi-platform development, including PC, Xbox One, and PS4
• Has worked on and shipped a AAA online title
• Deep understanding of networking technologies, specifically those used in online game technology, e.g. UDP/TCP, NAT Traversal, security
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Has initiative, and is able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision Desirable / Nice-to-Have:
• Experience with building backend services is desirable, including skills in: o Python or a similar language o Database design, including MySQL and NoSQL databases o Experience building services in a Linux environment o Experience with large scale services (up to millions of concurrent users)
• Experience with mobile game development and shipping an online mobile title
• Experience as a technical leader and/or as a scrum product owner desirable
We're headquartered in Santa Monica, California, housing multiple teams across many disciplines of Marketing, PR, Sales, Supply Chain and other corporate functions such as HR, IT, Legal, Facilities and Finance. Santa Monica is the nerve center of our company, where the best ideas combine with unrivalled rigor to create the biggest and best entertainment experiences in the world.
Great Games Start with Great People! This is an exciting time to join us! Ask anyone who works at Activision, or with Activision, their favorite thing about it, and they'll tell you, it's the people. We have world class brands, infrastructure and resources, but our success doesn't come from assembly lines producing widgets. Our success comes from people producing greatness together. We are nothing without our employee's brilliance. So if you're interested in our biggest priority, it's the people. Activision is more than just the leading developer and publisher of video games; we are the creators of some of the world's biggest, most ground-breaking titles in the industry. Our portfolio includes Call of Duty®, Crash Bandicoot™, and Destiny. Activision is a division of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI), headquartered in Santa Monica, California with locations across the globe.
Activision Blizzard is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology, and entertainment. A member of the S&P 500 and recognized on the 2018 FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list, Activision Blizzard has operations throughout the world with approximately 10,000 employees and players in 196 countries. The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners. Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Back to top