Design Director - Campaign
- Foster City, CA
Job Title:Design Director - Campaign
Job Description:Job Title: Game Design Director, Campaign - Sledgehammer Games
Reporting To: Aaron Halon
Location: Foster City, CA
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia - we're the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII . Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we're focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks - which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we've been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we're looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it's like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
The Campaign Design Director, you will lead the game design team to create cutting edge level designs for our Single player/Campaign team. We're looking for top talent with strong experience in level design on AAA titles.
- Drive game design with creative director and game director guidance across systems, focused on campaign.
- Ensure cross pollination of design best practices via presentations, design documentation and verbally
- Partner closely with studio design leadership to help support the development of titles
- Work closely across analytics, production, marketing and business teams to build alignment in support of studio design goals
- Actively guide teams to reach target design goals offering mentoring and support where possible
- Review and provide feedback on game mechanic designs and sequences.
- Manage the integration, iteration, tuning and playtesting.
- Match game quality goals and scope to complement schedule, staff and budget.
- Improve processes and practices to increase quality and accuracy.
- Maintain knowledge of the global game market and applies knowledge to product
- Plan, build, innovate new/interesting scenarios for gameplay.
- Design and own systems/mechanics from concept to completion.
- Create and iterate on the second to second experiences.
- Implement gameplay using proprietary level editor and scripting language.
- Research the game's subject matter.
- Collaborate with other departments, including Design, Art and Engineering teams to create and refine gameplay mechanics & combat encounters.
- Prioritize well, meet deadlines and communicate progress with your lead and/or manager.
- Provide day-to-day management, mentorship, and leadership to others, guiding them in resolving issues and helping develop their overall skills
- Continually recognize and reward employees for strong performance
- Partner with & support Human Resources and Recruiting to ensure optimal hiring and retention practices.
- Participate in organizational planning to ensure structure reflects changing business needs
Year 1 success will include the following:
- Build effective relationships and credibility within Design Department and Studio.
- Innovative new mechanics and refine/improve existing mechanics.
- Strengthen operational processes, procedures and communications.
- Ten or more years of direct game development experience. Proven success, or relevant experience, in driving team results through strong leadership.
- Serious passion for Shooters, Console or PC.
- Prior Experience developing first-person shooters is a huge plus.
- Demonstrable experience creating gameplay in a 3D environment.
- Experience building believable spaces that cater to gameplay and narrative needs.
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate an engaging gameplay experience and the technical ability to carry out your vision.
- Experience in Radiant, UnrealEd, Hammer, or other first-person shooter level editors
- Strong creative and technical design skills.
- Ability to assist with level, narrative, and systems design when the situation arises
- Ability to map out overall game pacing.
- Strong portfolio of work in current-gen game engines
- Takes and understands direction and feedback well, meets deadlines and handles multiple tasks.
- Ability to motivate teams and promote initiatives
- Strong interpersonal skills & thrives in a team environment.
- Proven problem solving and trouble-shooting skills
- Experience managing change
- Strong communication skills.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for 'Every World' - we've got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Back to top