Concept Artist - Sledgehammer Games
- Melbourne, Australia
Job Title:Concept Artist - Sledgehammer Games
Job Description:Your Platform
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia - we're the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII . Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we're focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks - which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we've been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we're looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it's like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
- As a Midlevel Concept Artist, you'll be creating concepts to solve a wide variety of problems, ranging from designing what things will look like to finding visual solutions that enhance gameplay and support the project's narrative
- Story is very important to us and you'll be challenged at every turn to tell interesting narrative in all your designs
- Your keen eye and art sensibilities will be key in creating artwork that inspires and informs the team
- Ideating w/ sketches, to creating environmental designs, character designs, prop designs, storyboards, 2d graphic art, etc., in the service of advancing the narrative and enhancing game design
- Researching and creating concepts that would fit into all stages of production that includes loose sketches, blue-sky paintings, pre-visualization, production paintings, renders, paint-overs, mark-up, marketing assets, and so forth
- Working closely with the team to ensure the concepts are providing effective visual solutions that balance art direction and game design needs
- Seeking out additional knowledge by interacting with the art and design staff, as well as learning and playing the game when needed, etc., so that concept designs are well-researched and are well-informed
- 2+ years of experience creating high-quality 2D art, concepts, and designs for games
- Demonstrate strong sketching abilities as well as the ability to render, matte paint, or even design the occasional graphics or logos
- You will use methods/art techniques in the most effective way to solve visual problems to help deliver design solutions that are timely and communicative to the team
- Strong understanding of architecture and environmental design
- Solid art foundation background in traditional art skills and can demonstrate an understanding of fundamentals in composition, perspective, proportion, scale, value, anatomy, lighting and color theory
- You are self-driven, dedicated to advancing your craft, and eager to learn new techniques and software
- You are an excellent communicator and able to work independently, in groups and with multiple departments and different personalities, and be proactive in resolving problems
- Possesses the ability to take direction and feedback from the team as well as contributing your own ideas
- Shows an interest in delivering the best possible results and puts in effort to achieve them
- Be an expert in Photoshop
- 3d applications like Blender, Maya, Zbrush, Sketch-up, etc., is a plus
- Must be comfortable with learning new tools, including some of the game tools
- Must have a portfolio of work for consideration. Web based portfolios are preferred.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for 'Every World' - we've got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Back to top