Senior Quality Engineer
Abaco Systems is an acknowledged leader in rugged embedded computing, especially in the military/aerospace market. Our products are used in hundreds of mission critical applications, where the performance and reliability we deliver can be a matter of life and death.
We're growing fast: we've added substantially to our organization in roles across the board - and that expansion will continue. We're also growing by acquisition. Our strategy puts our customers front and center of everything we do: their success will drive our success.
If you see yourself being part of a growing organization that's making a real difference in the world, Abaco Systems is for you.
SENIOR QUALITY ENGINEER
Primary Purpose of this Position:
- Responsible for strategic and tactical performance of the assigned Quality area and the efficient / controlled transition of quality assured / regulatory compliant product throughout the plant and into finished goods.
- Support site AS9100 & EHS compliance, maintenance and growth.
- Ensure ALL applicable QMS policies are accurate and maintained to the highest standards.
- Maintain compliance with leading PCBA / product build and test processes (incl. IPC-A-610 Class 3 and J-STD-001 and all relevant site Certifications).
- Lead analysis of manufacturing & test defects / process / procedure failures for assigned area(s) to determine root cause and develop corrective actions.
- Lead analysis of key quality metrics (for assigned area) to deliver sustained CI activity. (I.e. RTY, FPY, Return Rate, Cost of Quality, Scorecards, and RMA Cycle time).
- Support DFMEA/PFMEA reviews with respect to new & existing product manufacture / test deployment solutions to ensure NPIs are released to time and budget and all products can be manufactured in a reliable; quality assured; scalable; and repeatable manner (removing process variability).
- Ensure all products are verified and can be released with an appropriate CofC (as a QA document signatory).
- Ensure SAP build / inspection records and activities are accurate and kept up to date.
- A key stakeholder in the NPI staged gate reviews and development / assurance of product build and routings.
- Support manufacture readiness reviews and ECR impact analysis to support implementation of scalable production solutions, as required, to support the business operations plan.
- Act as a cross functional business advocate to address internal; manufacture; process; product; and Customer Quality issues - utilise problem solving techniques to drive root cause and deliver robust corrective action.
- Conduct internal audits; lead applicable RCCA; I-CAR, S-CAR & C-CAR investigations.
- Act as the primary Customer interface with regards Quality for assigned Customers/issues.
- Lead 'in-process' CI activity across the full product development and manufacture/test life-cycle.
- A change agent, combined with the ability to work cross functionally and at all levels to meet the demands of the Business and Customer.
- Ensure all Quality activities are aligned with the internal & external needs of the business to maximise performance against; Safety; On-time/On-Cost/On-Quality (OTOCOQ); Security; Inventory; and Net-Working Capital objectives
- Establish and deliver cost savings, lead-time reduction, and VA through effective engineering Quality strategies.
- Ensure all product leaving Abaco sites meets the highest standards with regards quality, compliance and safety.
- Enforce a robust system for 'Stop Build/Stop Ship' in relation to non-conformance (or as directed by the wider business in relation to Customer or product concerns).
- Ensure Management is kept informed of all critical issues and constraints.
- Leadership: Provide inspiration, direction through effective engagement and communication with regards quality.
- People: Train, develop, mentor and coach the department and wider business to maintain the highest levels of competency, efficiency and agility (conduct regular PDRs / maintain skill matrices).
- Performance: Drive operational excellence, a culture of innovation and best practices across all aspects of product manufacture (incl. all related MRB).
- Cost: Control all costs to agreed budgets (identifying and realising opportunities for cost savings at all stages).
- Data Integrity / Security: Maintenance, security and accuracy of all Quality related data.
- Inventory Management / NWC: Support effective inventory management solutions.
- Customer Focus: Work cross functionally to maintain a customer focussed mindsets with regard Quality & Service.
- NPI: Act as an interface between suppliers, Manufacturing, Engineering, and Design Engineering to support NPI (ensuring Feasibilities and FAIRS for drawn parts), rapid prototyping, sustaining and EOL programs.
- Risk Management: Identify and remove business risks using appropriate risk mitigation tools.
- Continuous Improvement: Act as champion for Quality Assurance CI activity - ensure industry leading tools and techniques are employed as appropriate (such as; JIT; VMI; DLF; FOD; 5S; ESD; RCCA's; etc.).
- Quality: Ensure compliance to all relevant Quality Management System's (QMS), processes, procedures & controls. Support a quality culture, focused on prevention not detection (incl. counterfeit avoidance).
Secondary Purpose of this Position:
- Lead, influence and inspire a multi skilled team to continuously innovate to deliver Customer excellence, utilisation / productivity / efficiency improvements and reduce lost cost.
- Support RFQ; bid; contract reviews with regards Quality and compliance requirements.
- Review quality data with the manufacture team(s) and provide closed loop feedback to deliver sustained CI activity (improving throughput and growth of the one Abaco objective without compromising quality.
- Attend NPI and design reviews; provide product, manufacture and test development recommendations for new, existing and emerging products and technologies [ensure Dfx is considered re: Quality; Delivery; Inventory; Cost; Service; Lead-time; Manufacture; Test (debug; yield; coverage); Reliability; Agility; etc. is considered always throughout the development, NPI and sustaining process].
- Support definition and implementation of the longer-term product Quality strategy - ensure they are followed with regards, regulatory, legislative, financial and ethical standards - in accordance with best practices.
- Deliver cost savings, lead-time reduction, and VA through effective quality management.
- Report weekly / monthly on area performance and progress to objectives (i.e. owner-action-timing-result).
- Support supplier assessments; selection; approval; contract negotiation; performance management, exit; and Supplier Relationship Management (SRM), maximising credit terms as required.
- Ensure manufacture equipment and tooling is appropriately calibrated.
- Undertake any other activity as reasonably requested by management.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Degree in Quality / Business Management (and/or suitable technical equivalent).
- Strong capability in the use of Microsoft Office applications.
- High level of competency in use of MRP and ERP systems (including use of SAP).
- Expert knowledge (auditor) in IPC-A-610 Class 3, J-STD-001; AS9100 (with a good understanding of ISO14001 & ISO18001).
- Project Management experience in a technical discipline.
- Significant experienced in implementing, developing and working with ISO9001 and AS9100 quality management systems.
- Source Inspections; FAIR's; FRACAS, MRB, and Product Readiness Reviews as they relate to product quality.
- Expert understanding of modern electronic circuit card assembly techniques and embedded product testing requirements (with high-level experience in modern manufacture processes & technologies).
- A high calibre change agent, expert in modern Quality principles, technology and techniques, whilst proactively minimising risks, maximises change benefits and realising savings at every stage of the process, - with a good understanding on financial reporting.
- Ability to function at the very highest level, working to tight deadlines within a fast paced, highly changeable environment.
- Proven track record in a related Quality Management role (an influencer and motivator of others).
- Demonstrable success in introducing Manufacture Excellence solutions using Lean Six Sigma techniques.
- Excellent internal & external communication, presentation and negotiation skills across all levels (written & oral).
- Ability to collect, interpret, and/or analyse complex data and information (Highly skilled at resolving problems).
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of an integrated team.
- The ability to apply technical knowledge to motivate and influence others (internal & external) to achieve targets with demonstrable judgement; leadership; management skills (strong analytical skills - pays attention to detail).
- A strong team leader and team player, works collaboratively to deliver Customer Excellence.
- well-developed interpersonal skills, with an ability to resolve conflicts in positive manner.
- Maintain a clean work environment - proactively promote and support the company's compliance in line with ESD, FOD, EH&S legislation and any other applicable regulatory/customer/supplier requirements.
- Trustworthy and reliable, ensures business activity is conducted in line with company values, policies & ethics code of conduct.
- Maintain an enthusiastic, organised and positive attitude to work, with a polite, respectful, professional demeanour.
At Abaco, we know that our people are our strength. We're a team with a common goal - and we're passionate about what we do, innovative, and open-minded. We're not just given responsibility - we're actively encouraged to make things happen. Oh, and - we have fun. If that sounds like your kind of organization - why not join us?
Meet Some of Abaco Systems's Employees
Mike’s main goal is to bring clients who can benefit from Abaco Systems' products on board with the company, then ensure their success through consistently updating programming solutions.
Back to top