Lead Data Scientist, Technical Analysis
Who We Are
In a digital economy data is the 21st century gold rush. Imagine working for a big data company with 10 petabytes of data at your fingertips. A company where analysts and scientists derive insights from 35+ terabytes of new data every week. 84.51° is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Kroger Company. Our data is sourced from consumer transactions and behavior across 24 banners, 38 states and 62 million households. We are the research, development and innovation arm of the nation’s third largest retailer. We develop advanced data science solutions putting the customer at the center of all of our decisions.
- Engage with Kroger stakeholders to translate business questions into statistical and machine learning paradigms.
- Create innovative solutions leveraging cutting edge supervised and unsupervised learning techniques.
- Select model and solution complexity to appropriately fit the business application.
- Identify opportunities to improve customer experiences via A/B testing, Champion/Challenger, design of experiments.
- Collaborate with 84.51° data and software engineers to deploy and automate sciences that will scale across the Kroger ecosystem.
- Stay up to date with progress made with academic and industry best practices.
- Leverage statistical programming languages and packages with an emphasis on open source software (e.g., R, Python, XGBoost, H2O, Spark, etc.).
- Deliver advanced customer insights to both technical and non-technical audiences using visualization tools (e.g., Shiny, Flexdashboards, ggplot2, Matplotlib, D3, Tableau).
- Adhere to stringent quality assurance and documentation standards using version control (e.g., git, markdown, Jupyter).
- Proactively push and support thought leadership throughout 84.51° and Kroger to embrace modern data science as the driving factor behind all business decisions.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Experience developing analytical solutions using advanced statistical methods and machine learning algorithms.
- Experience querying data from relational databases using SQL.
- Experience using R, Python, or other similar statistical software to develop analytical solutions.
- Experience with data wrangling, data cleaning and prep, dimensionality reduction.
- Experience with Big Data concepts, tools, and architecture (e.g. Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark, Sparkling Water).
- Ability to create computationally efficient solutions.
- Strong academic background in mathematics, statistics, computer science, economics, or similar discipline.
- Data visualization skills and ability to present technical solutions to non-technical audience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, creative problem-solving and decision making skills.
- Strong business acumen; grocery and/or retail experience is a plus.
- Passionate about data, analysis and insights.
- Natural curiosity.
- Welcomes and embraces change.
- Ability to work fast yet accurately.
- An openness and willingness to try new things and to fail.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
Back to top