Lead Big Data Engineer
We are a full stack data science company and a wholly owned subsidiary of The Kroger Company. We own 10 Petabytes of data, and collect 35+ Terabytes of new data each week sourced from 62 Million households. As a member of our engineering team you will use various cutting edge technologies to develop applications that turn our data into actionable insights used to personalize the customer experience for shoppers at Kroger. We use agile development methodology, starting with Big Room Planning bringing everyone into the planning process to build scalable enterprise applications.
Lead Data Developer (Python)– What you’ll do
As a data developer, we develop strategies and solutions to ingest, store and distribute our big data. Our developers use Big Data tools such as, Scala, Hadoop, Spark, Pyspark, Hive, JSON, and SQL in 10 week long scrum teams to developer the products, tools and features.
Take ownership of features and drive them to completion through all phases of the entire 84.51° SDLC. This includes external facing and internal applications as well as process improvement activities such as:
- Perform development of Cloud-based (GCP) Big Data solutions
- Perform unit and integration testing
- Collaborate with senior resources to ensure consistent development practices
- Provide mentoring to junior resources
- Participate in retrospective reviews
- Participate in the estimation process for new work and releases
- Bring new perspectives to problems
- Be driven to improve yourself and the way things are done
- Bachelor’s degree (typically in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Analytics or another technically strong program) plus 5 years of experience or Master’s degree ((typically in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Analytics or another technically strong program) and 3 years experience.
- Solid experience with core Python development (Python 2 & Python 3)
- Solid experience with Big Data tools to include but not limited to, Scala, Google Data Proc, Spark, Pyspark, and Hive
- Strong understanding of Agile Principles (Scrum)
- Proficient with relational and non-relational data modeling
- Proven ability of developing with SQL
- Proven hands-on practical understanding of Public Cloud services and technologies
- Full understanding of ETL concepts
- Full understanding of data warehousing concepts
- Exposure to VCS (Git, SVN)
- Solid experience developing with either Java, Scala or Python
- Good practical understanding of messaging systems such as Kafka or Google Pub-Sub
Meet Some of 84.51°'s Employees
Terron W.Partnership Manager, Customer Communications Team
Terron works with a variety of consumer-packaged-goods companies to help build their customer communications strategies in order to meet business objectives and reward Kroger shoppers.
Back to top