REST API Guru
YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH OUR LARGEST GOVERNMENT CLIENT AS WELL AS CONTRIBUTING TO VARIOUS 540 OPEN SOURCE TOOLS AND FORKS.
540.co is looking for an API Designer, Manager, and overall Guru to help leadership in the Pentagon improve visibility through data analytics platform development. We are looking for a startup-minded individual to work with and understand client requirements and define appropriate and scalable technical architecture, approach and API design.
On this project, you will be supporting the implementation of an API-centric data platform that collects data via reporting requirements and policy for Pentagon leadership and Congress. Other than the facilitation of reporting workflows and data security and access, our client wants to design and implement a system that unlocks all collected data for analysis through a variety of micro web apps (powered by reusable APIs) that can be built quickly and maintained/deployed easily. There should also be the ability for discovery and orchestration with other relevant data sources to provide more value to the analyst community… dare we say data science.
ABOUT THE FIRM
540.co is a technology consulting firm that helps government and business clients innovate like startups. We love helping our Federal Agency, Department of Defense and Fortune 500 clients use emerging technologies and lean startup strategies to improve operations and do things better, faster, and cheaper.
We’re looking for someone with big ideas, who thrives on innovation and is a self-starter. If you love to learn about and work with new technologies, we want to talk to you.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Proficiency in the area of RESTful API design including industry best practices and knowledge of alternate approaches
- Ability to build RESTful interfaces and understand the challenges, roadblocks, and best practices to standing up APIs
- Understanding of HTTP and TLS/SSL
- Understanding of various methods of authentication via APIs (PKI, OAuth, etc) and authorization (LDAP, etc)
- Ability to rapidly code proof of concepts to help with analysis of alternatives (should be a person who can code in mixed environments) and prove out ideas
- Ability to define and document APIs by building them and working with development teams to build apps on top
- Ability to identify performance issues at the app, API, and data tiers and offer solutions to make it better
- Ability to define, create, and execute integration tests (API testing, unit testing, etc)
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills and be able to give technical direction to development teams and translate technical verbiage into functional/business terms
- Must have or be able to get a security clearance
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Familiarization with SOAP Web Services and the ability to integrate with SOAP Services (#sigh... we know... but they are still out there)
- Experience with securing sensitive data (including security marking standards such as DoD Banner Lines or ISM)
- Experience with a couple of the listed technologies and frameworks: Java, Hibernate, MongoDB, Postgres, SQL, Elasticsearch, Lucene, Atlassian Confluence
- Experience / background in data mining, data analytics, data quality and data science (machine learning, NLP techniques, etc.)
- Experience with an API Gateway (such as Apigee, etc)
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401k and life insurance.
- Spotify Premium to improve your hacking experience.
- A maxed out Macbook Pro with a custom attention getting skin
- You will be the envy of your other contractor friends in the beltway.
If interested in this position be sure to include a link to LinkedIn and Github account.
Meet Some of 540's Employees
Chief Customer Experience Officer
Claudia oversees a few large projects for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, but she primarily heads customer experience initiatives to keep them on pace with technical developments.
Back to top