Volunteer Technical Lead - The Difference Engine
About The Difference Engine
The Difference Engine is a nonprofit organization with a mission to empower nontraditional developers wishing to launch careers in tech through our web development apprenticeship program. We build MVP websites and software for no-low revenue nonprofit organizations and social enterprises pro bono. During our 17 week apprenticeship, developers seeking full time employment build a live portfolio and learn to work in a real life team environment following agile software development processes. Nonprofit organizations and social enterprise receive mission impactful technology they otherwise would not have access to as part of this program.
TDE Technical Leads serve as mentors and leaders for our volunteer developer apprentices. Their primary role is to pair program and manage the successful delivery of a single project for our nonprofit clients. As well as having a passion for working to extend the tech community and giving back.
- At least 6 months of paid coding experience inside a software development team setting.
- Production-level Ruby on Rails development experience preferred.
- Previous experience with pair programming.
- Availability to provide on-site mentorship Monday and Thursday evenings from 6-9pm.
- One-on-one Leadership training and mentoring for all team leads and product owners
- Monthly leadership meetings with other Leads
- Ongoing alumni connections and networking
- Priority consideration working for TDE in the future
- Technical growth - teaching to code reinforces and improves YOUR coding skills
- Warm fuzzy feeling helping organizations that really need help
This is a pay-it-forward part-time volunteer contractor-type role.
Visa Sponsorship - not available
This is an onsite role - not remote
See Inside the Office of 1871
1871 is Chicago’s entrepreneurial hub for digital start-ups. With over 75,000 square-feet of facility space and continuing to expand, 1871 provides Chicago based start-ups with space, daily programming and events, connectivity, access to mentors, educational resources, potential investors, and a community of like-minded entrepreneurs. 1871 strives to help its exceptional 250+ start-ups—and their amazing designers, engineers, and entrepreneurs—build a path to successful businesses.
Back to top