Visual Experience Designer - Moonshot
Moonshot's mission is to create and service the innovative digital products that businesses need to transform entire industries. Our blend of data science, experience design, and development operations allows businesses to breakthrough existing digital boundaries. Our Experiences group's goal is to Create. We create human-centric experiences using our deep expertise in the next-generation of ambient technologies. We create perspectives to help educate our own team, clients, and industries. We create our own products as outcomes of our passion to experiment, break, and tinker. We are building a different kind of services company that helps the world understand how to build their next moonshot. Whether we're creating new products or helping businesses expand its reach, people at Moonshot are makers at heart from all walks of life solving problems and working together to define the world the third wave of internet as created. Because to do this takes every one of us – and we're just starting.
Our Lead Visual Experience Designer will work on various projects (client-based or proactive internal initiatives) to drive the visual storytelling capability within the Experiences group. As we grow into the space of next-generation experiences enabled by technology, our ability to tell compelling stories externally and internally will prove to be invaluable asset of the Moonshot operations and brand. This person will partner with Digital Product Management, Technology, and Amplified Intelligence colleagues to deliver digital products and experiences that are useable, loveable, and feasible. Building on an in-depth understanding of user experience design for digital products across a variety of industry verticals, this role will contribute to the design of human-centric experiences for the next wave of innovative digital products and experiences focused on amplified intelligence, data and cloud platforms, and next generation customer touch-points (e.g. IoT, wearables, natural language processing, virtual and augmented reality) across physical and digital environments.
- Be relentlessly curious about what is coming next in the world of digital innovation, beyond the design of websites and mobile app and be driven to define how to create experiences and/or perspectives for this new world.
- Design impactful and visually engaging user experiences based on the definition of customer needs (e.g. pains, gains, and jobs to be done) and have the knowledge to practice the design thinking methods
- Create and know the strategic value of creating visual systems and frameworks for organizing information and interactions to help user's complete tasks in a usable, delightful way
- Build user experiences through prototypes, bringing them to life in a rapid, iterative fashion, using lean practices
- Collaborate with small, cross-functional teams made up of Digital Product Management, Technology, and Amplified Intelligence experts to come up with creative solutions to problems that evaluate and assess the user, business, and technical goals and needs
- Lead design thinking sessions using iterative design techniques that include observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of qualitative and quantitative research to uncover insights, learn about user behavior, and verify design concepts
- Tell compelling stories, delivering insights about people and behavior both verbally and visually, in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and colleagues
- Deliver innovative offline and online experiences to market industry – integrating the capabilities of such cognitive and artificial intelligence technologies such as IBM Watson and Amazon Alexa Skills into the digital product
- Mentor junior team members across projects and or initiatives with the desire to develop their strengths.
- Establish viable creative relationships with clients to support our client services colleagues for establishing deeper design-centric account partnerships.
- 6-8 years visual design/communication, UI Design, or graphic design experience across a variety of industries and challenges. Digital preferred, print is respected.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design or fine arts equivalent degree
- A strong portfolio centered around illustrating compelling project stories to clients
- Passion for visual design: You know the difference between 'good design' and 'great design' and can work within collaborative teams and client relationships to deliver excellent design.
- Possess tangible examples of evangelize best practices, but pushing boundaries and exploring new territories of design.
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and sing your visuals to communicate that complexity in simple ways.
- Have experience working with people who bring many different skills and disciplines to the table, and can align your talents with theirs.
- Confidently comfortable working across any format - you're able to direct/design a book, video, or website, depending on what feels right for the question at hand.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of visual deliverables.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context.
- Consulting chops: Can you present like a pro and communicate your creative voice in a business setting? You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
- You've mastered the tools: You can design and direct across a variety of media (print, motion, web) including Sketch, Framer, Flinto, Principle, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Keynote.
See Inside the Office of 1871
1871 is Chicago’s entrepreneurial hub for digital start-ups. With over 75,000 square-feet of facility space and continuing to expand, 1871 provides Chicago based start-ups with space, daily programming and events, connectivity, access to mentors, educational resources, potential investors, and a community of like-minded entrepreneurs. 1871 strives to help its exceptional 250+ start-ups—and their amazing designers, engineers, and entrepreneurs—build a path to successful businesses.
Back to top