Events Associate - 1871
The story of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: A remarkable moment when the most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. What started 140 years ago continues to this day. Chicago’s brightest digital designers, engineers and entrepreneurs are shaping new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
1871 is the hub for technology and entrepreneurship in Chicago. Ranked as the number one university-affiliated incubator in the United States, 1871 is the home of more than 500 early-stage, high-growth digital startups. Located in Chicago’s historic Merchandise Mart, this 130,000 square foot facility is also the headquarters of nationally recognized accelerators Techstars Chicago and the Good Food Business Accelerator; impact investing fund Impact Engine; half a dozen area and industry-specific incubators; several emerging tech training schools; and the state’s leading technology advocate, the Illinois Science and Technology Coalition. It provides a second home to many Chicago-based VCs, as well as satellite offices for Northwestern University, University of Illinois, University of Chicago, Loyola University Chicago, Illinois Institute of Technology, and DeVry.
Come to a place where you can share ideas, take initiative, work hard, grow professionally and, with a little luck, change the world. If that sounds like you, come join us.
1871 is seeking a professional to serve a key function within our organization – working with the events team to make a strong contribution to the success of the organization’s most public-facing programs. The ideal candidate will have the ability to assist with management, administration, and logistics for hundreds of events annually in the city’s largest and most vibrant incubator and workspace.
- Assisting with coordination and scheduling of events such as meetings, conferences, lectures, panel discussions and organized networking. Coordinating logistics for catering and entertainment.
- Ensuring all logistics such as staff coverage and facilities are secured.
- Communicating effectively with the front desk staff, 1871 team and organization leadership to ensure a smooth experience for the team and our guests.
- Preparing and modifying event contracts and handling related paperwork.
- Generating event registration invites for designated events, as necessary.
- Meeting with event organizers to conduct preparatory walk-throughs and tours.
- Assisting with managing on-site production and clean up for events.
- 1+ years of experience coordinating special events
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Excellent communication skills including writing, proof reading skills, and speaking
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism
- Excellent customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail, GoogleDocs, and web searches.
Compensation is based on experience.
Position reports to the COO and VP of Events and Content Development jointly. Position will work closely with other members of the Events Staff.
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.
Back to top